Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Black Bean Chili (Page 268)

  • Date: Sunday, October 14, 2007 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Chris and Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I have been making many soups lately, and this was a continuation on that theme. This chili was pretty tasty. It had a nice black bean flavor and rich texture. The ancho chilis in chipotle gave the chili a lovely smoky flavor. I had only two complaints. One, it was too spicy for my taste. I found it hard to eat, but tempering it with some cheese or sour cream helped a bit. The second is that it took a lot longer to cook than it said it would. After the indicated time the beans were indeed soft, but the chili was watery and unappetizing. I cooked it an additional hour to get the nice thickness I wanted. Overall though, this is a good vegetarian dish, and would be lovely on a blustery winter weekend.

This recipe isn't online.

I didn't go grocery shopping on Saturday, as I usually do, since I was at UIUC for the day. When I got back, I was working on something and consequently never found the time to go. I managed to make it through half the week with minimal groceries, but by this morning I was out of all my staples: no Clif bars, no popcorn, no pudding, no bananas, no beer... It was time for a grocery trip. I stopped at Target on the way to the store. There I was, with a cart full of popcorn, a pair of cheap shoes, and some new underwear, and of course I run into one of my students. He didn't think I saw him, and he quickly ducked into an aisle. I understand this impulse. I hide from people I know in public all the time. But what came next surprised me. He followed me! He ducked in and out of aisles, watching me from a distance, observing what I was buying. Of course I could see him (peripheral vision is amazing that way!), but he seemed to think he was pretty sneaky. The whole thing made me laugh. Maybe I would have done the same thing when I was that age. Maybe I would have been curious about what my professors ate, and what kind of shampoo they used. Maybe, but I'm not so sure... So anyway, perhaps he will report back to my other students and on Friday they will all know what kind of underwear I wear. That will be interesting...

No comments: