Sunday, December 30, 2007

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting (Page 726)

  • Date: Monday, December 24, 2007 -- 4pm
  • Location: Fond Du Lac, WI
  • Kitchen: My Parents' Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Terry, Teri, Spencer, Marie, Jeff, Joe K, Sue K, Katie, Brian K, Amy, Ellie, Grandpa, Grandma, Julie, John, Anne, Joe, Alex A, June, etc...
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I figured I should make a cake for the holidays, and I love carrot cake, so carrot cake it was! This carrot cake was excellent. It was moist, and flavorful with an abundance of carrots in it. Many ingredients went into this cake: pineapple, walnuts, coconut, etc... but they all melded together beautifully. It had excellent flavor and texture. The frosting was also fantastic. It was a simple cream cheese frosting recipe, but the ratios were just right to produce a frosting that was tangy and delicious without being too sweet. My aunt Ellie summarized it best. She took one bite of this cake and said, "This is better than Mexico." (A comment that was mysterious even to me...) I was tempted to give this recipe an A grade, but I had one complaint. It was so moist and dense that the center of the cake never really rose, so the cake had an unappealing concavity to it. I could have repaired this with frosting of course (or by trimming the top around the edges I suppose) but it would have taken quite a bit of frosting. Overall though, this one was a winner!

This recipe isn't online.

Today is our last day in Ohio and then tomorrow it is back to Bloomington, and back to real life (work, etc...). Last night we went out with Brad and Deniz and some of Brad's friends from high school. We started the evening in our own private karaoke room at a sushi restaurant, and ended up at the bowling alley. I bowled pretty well for me (especially considering that it was 1:30 am) and beat Matty two games in a row (which never happens)!

Today we are again working hard at finishing Season 3 of Beverly Hills 90210. Brad and Deniz are leaving around 6am tomorrow, so we only have until then. We are on our last disc though, so it should be possible! I didn't get the full experience of watching some of the episodes this afternoon, as I was in the kitchen cooking. I could hear what was going on, but (unfortunately) I couldn't see the awesome acting! It was good to get some cooking done though. Matty and I made pizzas for dinner tonight from The Book. I got to use my new pizza stone and baker's peel, and the pizzas turned out well. Mmmm... pizza.

2 comments:

hipiegrl said...

I'm thinking of making this as a layer cake, do you think it would work?

Teena said...

Well the recipe as written does call for this cake to be two layers. Are you wanting to make more layers than that? I might worry about towering this cake too high because it was so heavy and dense that it could collapse a bit under its own weight.