Friday, December 28, 2007

Old Plymouth Indian Meal Pudding (Page 824)

  • Date: Sunday, December 23, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Madison, WI
  • Kitchen: My Parents' Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Teri, Terry, and Spencer
  • Recipe Rating: B-


My dad is the only person I know who really appreciates Indian Pudding, so I figured I would make this while he was around to eat it. This is a dessert that you don't see around too much -- it's essentially just cornmeal cooked with milk, then drenched in molasses. Some eggs are stirred in and it is baked for a couple hours. The flavor (as Spencer pointed out) is eerily similar to pumpkin pie filling -- which is especially strange because it contains no pumpkin. Basically it tastes good. I have never been a fan of the texture of Indian pudding though. It is soft and pudding like, but grainy from the cornmeal, with a chewy exterior. No one else in my family was as bothered by this as I was (or if they were, they refused to acknowledge it), and Matty cited the texture as his favorite thing about this recipe -- mysterious. Having a big scoop of ice cream on top (see picture above!) greatly improved the experience of eating this. I would certainly never make this recipe again, but I ate most of my serving (I ate until my ice cream was gone!), so it wasn't too bad!

This recipe isn't online.



Well the year is drawing to a close, and soon it will be on to 2008! It's crazy to me how much my life has changed in this last year. For one thing, after 22 yeas of being in school, I finished! I completed my Ph.D. and now, for the first time in memory, I am no longer a student. I have started my life on the other side of the desk -- I am doing what I hoped to do even as a kid: teaching and doing research! And I love it! Also in the last year, I moved from the east coast back to the Midwest. It has been a transition of course, but I am very much enjoying my new home.

I also cooked 277 recipes from The Book this year. That was a bit slower than the 325 I made in 2006 -- I think I need to pick up the pace again in 2008! I am hoping that I won't start running short of recipes that sound good in this new year. It seems inevitable that I will reach a point where all the remaining recipes sound not-so-tasty. I am hoping to put that off until 2009!

No comments: