Friday, December 14, 2007

Parsnip and Apple Puree (Page 554)

  • Date: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: C-



I try to make the pureed veggies from The Book when I am just cooking for myself, since no one tends to like them much. Often the problem is purely a textural one -- it seems that many people over the age of 2 (myself included) prefer their food not pureed. With this recipe the problem was not only the texture, but also the flavor. It tasted vaguely like what you would get if you stirred together one part mashed potatoes, and two parts applesauce. Except instead of mashed potatoes, it would really be mashed parsnips. Somehow though, I think that mashed potatoes stirred together with applesauce would actually taste better than this did. For one thing the flavor was completely dominated by the apples. I like apples as much as the next person, but it was very unnerving having this apple-flavor puree that had a texture completely unnatural to the apple. Because it was pureed with the parsnips, the texture was more like whipped potatoes than applesauce. Yet it tasted like applesauce. I had hoped to taste more of the parsnips, onions, and sour cream, but the strong apple flavor overshadowed all those. It's possible that if this were diluted with some chicken stock it would make a nice soup (or better, a small amuse bouche). But as it was, after a few bites, I just couldn't eat any more of this.

This recipe isn't online.

Matty and I are hosting a holiday party tomorrow night for topology faculty and their families. It will be about 20 people. For said get-together I am making 11 recipes from The Book! It's quite an endeavor. I just took some gougeres out of the oven, and they are so delicious! I made them ahead so I can just re-crisp them tomorrow, but it seems that there is a definite danger that I will eat them all before then!

There also seems to be a definite danger that Matty won't make it for our party. He is supposed to be flying in this evening. His flight wasn't scheduled to leave Boston for another 4 hours, yet they have already delayed it another hour and a half. This is not a good sign. If he doesn't make it tonight, it may be hopeless until Sunday, since the forecast here tomorrow includes some nasty winter mix. Have I mentioned lately how frustrating I find air travel? This time it probably isn't actually the fault of the airline though. For one thing, he's not flying Northwest. For another, Boston got some serious snow dumped on it yesterday, so I can understand why things would be running a bit behind. Only time will tell if he'll make it tonight...

In the meantime, I will keep eating (err, I mean, making) food for the party!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The endive thingies were good. Well, everything was good, but the endive thingies were real good.

The yogurt cucumber dip was also very good, the texture was just right. I would've put some (more?) lemon juice in in to tang it up a bit.

Anonymous said...

and of course, I'm referring to the Dec 15 party, not the parsnip and apple puree soiree

Teena said...

Yeah, I agree about the endive things. Also about the yogurt cucumber dip -- it definitely needed a little kick.