Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Roasted Squash and Green Beans with Sherry Soy Butter (Page 581)

  • Date: Sunday, December 23, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Madison, WI
  • Kitchen: My Parents' Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Teri, Terry, and Spencer
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I chose this dish to accompany our holiday dinner on Sunday because I figured squash and green beans would go well with chicken. This recipe was pretty good. It suffered a bit from trying too hard. Roasted butternut squash is delicious. There is very little you can do to make it more delicious (basting it with a mixture of butter and brown sugar is one thing that works...). In this recipe the squash was roasted, then green beans were added, and the whole thing was roasted some more then doused with a mixture of sherry vinegar, soy sauce, and butter. It tasted good, but it would have been better if we had just seasoned the roasted squash and served that. The dressing only detracted from the deliciousness of the squash, and the green beans were unessential. This is really two perfectly good recipes, accidentally mixed together. One, roasted butternut squash, and two, green beans with sherry soy butter. Separately they would be winners, but there is no reason to throw them together like this.

Here is the recipe.

It's the day after Christmas. I was exhausted after so many Christmas celebrations. Today I slept and slept and slept. I finally dragged myself out of bed around 10:30am. The only thing I ate between then and dinner was a big bowl of oatmeal. After eating so much these past few days it was nice to have a little less to eat. It is marvelously warm in Columbus (a high of 50 degrees today!), so after the oatmeal Matty and I went hiking. Since then I have been lounging around, resting, eating leftovers from a Christmas meal that I wasn't here for, and planning another holiday-type meal for tomorrow night.

It has been nice to relax today. The days I spent with my family were pretty jam-packed (as the few days before Christmas often are). I didn't have a lot of time to just rest. I think the Ohio portion of this Christmas vacation will be more restful. During the many years I was in school I learned that it is important to get nice and rested up during winter break. It is a good thing to start second semester refreshed. I am guessing that the same is true when you are teaching!

2 comments:

Deborah Dowd said...

I think that is why the day after CHristmas is my favorite- the food is cooked, there are no presents to buy or wrap, and you can just sit back and enjoy! Yummy looking recipe- this sounds like a very different flavor combination!

Teena said...

Yeah, the day after Christmas is great! Especially if you don't go anywhere near a shopping mall!