Thursday, December 06, 2007

White Bean Gratin (Page 271)

  • Date: Wednesday, December 5, 2007 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I picked this recipe since I have been trying to restock my freezer, and bean dishes tend to freeze pretty well. The directions for this recipe were a little off, but the end result was still very tasty. The main problem was with the timing. Everything took longer than indicated. The beans took longer to become tender. The cooking liquid took longer to reduce. It was worth the extra time though because the beans came out flavorful and delicious, and the topping was truly inspired. The beans mixture was a combination of whole navy beans and navy beans pureed with oil and white wine vinegar. The vinegar gave the dish a great depth, and the puree and whole bean combo gave it a lovely texture. The topping was bread crumbs mixed with gruyere, parmesan, and garlic. It was delicious! Crispy, cheesy, and extremely tasty! Bean dishes are often a bit dull, but this one was quite good. I recommend it.

This recipe isn't online.

It is the last week of class and my students have become more demanding than usual! Many of them want individual meetings outside of my office hours. One of my students even tried to insist that I let him sit in my office and "work quietly" all afternoon. And the highlight of the day: one of my students had his mom email me today. Don't get me wrong -- my students are great. But I am about ready for the semester to be over! And I'm in luck because tomorrow morning is my last lecture!

Until this year I had been in school for as long as I could remember. It has been very interesting this semester to be on the other side of the desk. When I interact with my students I try to always be cognizant of the fact that I too was a college freshman once. I try to remember what it felt like, and how little I knew back then. My students do things I certainly wouldn't have done (for instance: I have never had my mother email one of my professors!), but it still helps me understand them if I try to remember what it was like to be 18 and new to college. Plus, even when they are being totally unreasonable, they bring me joy. They never cease to make me laugh!

No comments: