Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Crunchy Fried Green Tomatoes (Page 585)

RECIPE #809

  • Date: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Palo Alto, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Emilee and Brian
  • Recipe Rating: B-


I have wanted to try this recipe for quite some time, but have had trouble finding green tomatoes at the store. Brian has an enormous tomato garden though, so I jumped at the chance to swipe a few of his green tomatoes to make this recipe. I had actually never had fried green tomatoes before, and The Book promised me the tomatoes would have an acidic tang and a custardy texture, coated with a crispy fried exterior. To make them I sliced the tomatoes into 1/2 inch thick slices, then dredged them in a mixture of flour, salt, sugar, and cayenne, followed by a dip in egg and a coat in cornflakes. The tomatoes were then fried in batches in butter and oil. Once all the tomatoes were fried they were baked on a baking sheet until hot. The end result was just ok. The fried exterior was crunchy and tasty, although the amount of butter and oil called for was insufficient which resulted in some burnt cornflakes. The tomatoes were not particularly custardy as was promised. In fact, despite having fried them for the designated amount of time, and baking them until hot, many of the tomato slices tasted pretty raw. They did indeed have an acidic tang, which was interesting, but maybe not totally to my taste. Emilee and I both pushed our tomatoes to the side of our plate after a few bites. Brian ate more of them, but still didn't have strongly positive things to say. Em summarized it best when she noted that these tomatoes were fine, but we could have left them on the plant a while longer, picked them when they were ripe and eaten them with some salt and pepper. That side dish would have been fat free, no fuss, and better tasting.

The recipe in The Book is the same as this one, except the one in The Book calls for slightly less butter and oil.

I was working this afternoon at Em and Brian's place, sitting at the dining table reading/editing a paper, and I started to get a little achy. So I decided to lay down on the floor and work. I put my laptop down on the floor, and the paper I was working on, and I sprawled out on the baby blanket (Sam was asleep upstairs, so I wasn't stealing his spot). It was very comfortable. Indeed, a little too comfortable. I woke up 45 minutes later with the side of my face plastered to the math paper. Sam woke up not too long after and when Brian brought him downstairs he observed, "Oh look, Teena and Sam are both awake from their afternoon naps!" Ha ha. I have apparently gotten in the habit of napping since I have been out here in California. It's not that I am particularly sleep deprived (although being in the same apartment as a small baby does mean that I get up pretty early). Rather I think I see Sam napping and it just seems so appealing. A couple days ago he was napping on top of Em and Brian's bed, and he woke up mid-nap and was making a fuss. I went up there to comfort him and I ended up falling asleep next to him on the bed. I got a nice nap in before he woke me up! Pretty soon it will be back to real life (i.e. working in my office) where the mid-day nap is slightly less practical. I guess my new office does have a sofa though...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Southern style fried green tomatoes are the best- try them if you ever go through Tennessee ;) Stumbled on your blog while recipe hunting- what a great idea!! Read several days worth already and I will definately be an avid reader.

Teena said...

Welcome to the blog! Next time I am in Tennessee I will definitely try some true Southern fried green tomatoes!