Monday, December 01, 2008

Eggs and Spinach on Buckwheat Crepes (Page 640)

RECIPE #877

  • Date: Sunday, November 23, 2008 -- 10am
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


I have been traveling so much on the weekends lately that I haven't been cooking much in the way of brunch food. My special gentleman loves brunch though, so I threw together this dish for us a couple weekends ago. This dish was simple enough: buckwheat crepes (see post below) were filled with a cooked spinach mixture, then folded up and topped with a fried egg, some sour cream, and chopped chives. The end result certainly tasted good, but I am unlikely to make it again. The main issue that both me and my special gentleman had with it was that the spinach filling was bland. I think some cheese could have improved matters considerably. I liked cooked spinach as much as the next person. But on its own the flavor isn't particularly strong and the texture isn't great. By itself it doesn't make a great crepe filling. It would certainly be possible to come up with a vegetable mixture that includes spinach and would have done this crepe proud (the addition of some chopped mushrooms, for instance, would have improved matters), but as it was it was only ok. Aside from the filling the rest of the dish was nice. The fried egg complemented the hearty crepe well and the sour cream and chives gave the dish some much-needed punches of flavor.

Here is the recipe.

Somehow I let Thanksgiving slip right by without really commenting on it. I didn't cook at all for Thanksgiving this year (we ate Thanksgiving dinner at my special gentleman's aunt and uncle's house) which gave the holiday a very different feel for me. The holiday did remind me, however, of the many things I am thankful for this holiday season. For instance:
  • My special gentleman, who makes me laugh and laugh and laugh.
  • My health and the health of my family and friends.
  • Microwave popcorn and cold beer.
  • A job that I love.
  • Down comforters.
  • Hot showers.
  • Our upcoming wedding.
  • The support of amazing friends.
  • All of the people who cook and eat with me from The Book.
  • Cooking on Saturday afternoons.
  • The graduate students who answer the Webwork emails my business calculus students send.
  • A wonderful groups of colleagues/friends in the math department.
  • Another year of delicious food!
  • Being very happy with my life.

3 comments:

vero said...

I'm thankful for Hug-a-Tyler day.
(It was on the 25th.)

Philippe said...

Can I add to your list?

I am thankful for:
- the letter "B"
- opposable thumbs
- shoe repair shops
- scallops in general
- thankful lists

Thanks for the opportunity.

Teena said...

Vero: Yeah, Mike reminded me so I sent Tyler an email hug!

Philippe: Thanks for your additions! But why the letter B, of all letters? I'm more thankful for A.