Sunday, December 28, 2008

Parisian Passover Coconut Macaroons (Page 676)

RECIPE #895

  • Date: Sunday, December 14, 2008 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-

It's always nice to have some cookies in the house, especially around Christmas-time. I made these cookies with the idea that we might give some as gifts for the holiday, but they were so good that my special gentleman and I had eaten them all before I had a chance. To make these macaroons I started by boiling water and sugar until it reached 238 degrees. In the meantime, I beat egg whites until stiff peaks formed. Then, with the beaters running I very carefully poured the hot sugar syrup down the side of the bowl into the egg whites. I beat them until cool then added lots of unsweetened coconut. I then put spoonfuls on a baking sheet and baked them until firm. The recipe contained an additional step of forming them into pyramids with your fingertips before baking them. I did this on just enough of them to decide that it was: 1. A lot of work, and 2. Pointless since my pyramids weren't too cute. So I did the rest of them as the little balls you see above and that worked just fine. These cookies were delicious. These were not the usual dense, chewy macaroons that you probably think of (which I also find delicious!). These were light, and had a melt-in-your-mouth quality to them. The outside of the cookie was crispy, while the inside had a bit of that chewy coconut texture. These were really a cross between meringues and typical macaroons, and it totally worked. With no flour, these cookies are perfect for passover. But they are so good that it would be silly to only make them then! Yum! One note: grated unsweetened coconut isn't always easy to find, but that is what the recipe calls for. I think with sweetened coconut (which is what you typically find at grocery stores) these would be much too sweet, so it is worth searching out the unsweetened stuff. I found it at a local co-op, and I imagine a lot of natural food stores would have it.

Here is the recipe.

Yesterday I went running outside for the first time since I ran the half-marathon in November. My special gentleman's brother signed us up to run a 5K on New Year's Day, and I figured it might be a bad scene if I ran for the first time in 2 months during a race. So yesterday I went running. It was completely depressing how out of shape I am! I know, I know, it is always hard the first time you run after a long break, but still. As I was struggling through just a few miles it was hard to believe I had ever run 13 of them in a row! With New Year's approaching, I have been thinking a lot about setting a fitness goal for the new year. I think my goal for 2009 is going to be to run a full marathon. With all the training I did, the half marathon was a piece of cake. So hopefully, with proper training, I will also be able to do a marathon. My plan is to start training at the beginning of March to run a marathon sometime in the fall. That should give me lots of time to prepare! I think I can do it, but yesterday was certainly depressing. It may take me a couple months just to get back in as good a shape as I was in a couple months ago!

2 comments:

Deniz said...

Do Chicago!!

Teena said...

I might. It's between Chicago or one of the Indianapolis ones. It's tempting to do it close to home, although the Chicago marathon certainly has more energy to it!