Monday, December 15, 2008

Winter Vegetables with Horseradish Dill Butter (Page 526)

RECIPE #887

  • Sunday, December 7, 2008 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+

The weather is certainly wintery, so I figured now was as good a time as any to make this dish of winter vegetables. Aside from having to cut up many veggies, this dish was pretty quick. I cut red potatoes, carrots, Brussels sprouts, parsnips, and turnips into pieces. In one steamer I steamed the carrots and potatoes, and in another steamer I steamed the Brussels sprouts, parsnips, and turnips. When all the veggies were tender I tossed them with a mixture of melted butter, horseradish, cider vinegar, fresh dill, salt, and pepper. The result was yummy! Typically when dill appears in a recipe I find myself commenting, "It would be better with less dill." I like dill, but it is such a strong flavor, I often think recipes have too much of it. Not so in this case. The dill went wonderfully with the horseradish and both were perfect complements to this assortment of winter vegetables. They added a kick of flavor to what otherwise might have been a bit dull. I generally prefer roasted root vegetables to steamed ones, but the sauce in this recipe was great on the steamed veggies. My one complaint about this recipe was that it said to steam the veggies, "until just tender, 18 to 24 minutes." I checked them for the first time after 17 minutes, and they were already over-cooked. Everything was pretty mushy, and when I tried to toss with the sauce, some of the veggies fell apart. It would have been much better cooked just a couple minutes less. So if you are making this, be aware that you should start checking the veggies around 14 minutes, rather than 18. Other than that, this was a nice dish and a good way to enjoy vegetables in the depths of the winter.

The recipe in The Book has the same ingredients as this recipe, but online the amount of the ingredients is multiplied by some number between 1.5 and 4, depending on the ingredient.

Ah, exam day. My business calculus students took their final exam this morning. It went mostly fine, but as is typical for an exam day, I have been bombarded by student requests. An hour before the final I had a student who wanted to withdraw from the course so I wouldn't fail him. Now, just a few hours after the final ended, my Inbox is already full of emails from students wanting to know their grades, and what the curve was, and whether I will compute their course grade correctly... *sigh* This is not the most fun part of teaching.

One bright spot of humor in my day was reading what my students wrote in the blank where they were supposed to fill in their instructor's name. Some of them left it blank (So they don't know my name? Or they were worried they would spell it wrong?), some of them got it right, and then lots of people provided interesting new variants. The incorrect versions of my first name were exactly what I would have expected: Tena and Tina. Fair enough -- Teena is an unusual spelling, and a lot of them still got it right. It was my last night that produced some gems. Incorrect versions of my last name included: Gerbert, Geerhardt, Gerdhart, Gehrhardt, Gerheardt, Gerhdart, Gearhardt, Garhardt, Gerdhart, and Garhart. I think Gerbert is my favorite. That b in the middle just came out of nowhere. I think I will ask to be called Tena Gerbert from now on.

Now I am waiting for the departmental curve to be set for the final exam. Then I can finish and submit my course grades. Then the onslaught of student emails will really begin...

2 comments:

Philippe said...

I think you should change your name to T-na Fierce.

Teena said...

I like that...