Spaghettini with Garlic and Lemon (Page 204)
- Date: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 8pm
- Location: Palo Alto, CA
- Kitchen: Chris' Apartment
- Sous Chef: Chris
- Recipe Rating: B+
I picked this one because I was in the mood for something light and simple today. T
his dish is fantastically easy (start to finish less than 20 minutes) and is really very good. Its appearance suggests that it might be a little bland, but in fact the lemon and red pepper flavors are quite strong and play off each other well. We ate it as a main course, but I think it would make quite a nice side dish.I thought a lot today about fear. I have, for many years now, been terrified of flying. This is not to say that I don't fly -- I do. But I am scared, and on occasion have decided not to do things simply because they required flying. I tried everything I could think of to overcome my fear, from medications to piloting single engine aircraft myself. Nothing really helped. This summer, in a particularly spectacular moment at the airport, I actually refused to get on the plane for the first time. My current trip (to Wisconsin and then California) was the first time I was flying without a friend since my little airport meltdown. In the weeks leading up to my trip, I was worried, I admit, that I wouldn't get on the plane. Then I met someone, who, without trying, and without even knowing it, convinced me that I didn't want to be scared any more. So I decided not to be. And the strange thing was, I actually wasn't. I spent the two and a half hours between Boston and Ohare staring out the window, thinking about how beautiful the clouds were. When I got off the plane I realized that on some level I had always believed that as soon as I stopped being scared, the plane would crash -- as if it was my fear, not aerodynamics, keeping the plane in the air.
Today I got to wondering, is it really that easy? Can we really just decide to not be scared anymore? I don't know. I would like to thank that guy. But I don't know how I would explain what he did for me. He didn't even know I was scared of flying. We didn't even talk about it. He just inspired me somehow. I will likely never attempt to thank him for this, but I will always be grateful.
Tomorrow I have to face a different fear. In some ways, I am looking forward to it.
No comments:
Post a Comment