Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Panko Scallops with Green Chile Chutney (Page 48)

RECIPE #1010

  • Date: Sunday, July 19, 2009 -- 1pm
  • Location: Westerville, OH
  • Kitchen: Karen and Dave's House
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Brad, Deniz, Karen H, Dave, etc...
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I made these scallops for the wedding celebration Karen and Dave hosted for us in July. I started by making the chutney. I blended together cilantro, scallions, coconut, serrano chiles, vegetable oil, ginger, lime juice, and water in a blender, then seasoned with salt and pepper. I cut my scallops in half (because they were enormous -- this wouldn't usually be necessary), then seasoned them with salt and pepper. I dipped them in egg, then panko breadcrumbs. Then I fried them in vegetable oil and topped them with the chutney. These scallops were pretty good. The scallops were nicely cooked, and the breadcrumb coating was very tasty. Unfortunately the coating didn't stick to the scallops so well, so some of them lost much of their breading in the frying process. The breading that stuck was delicious though. The chutney was quite nice -- aromatic and tasty, with a bit of a kick from the serrano chiles. The chutney was simple to make and added a lot to the dish. They would have been cuter had I not cut the scallops in half, so were I to make this recipe again I would look for some smaller scallops.

The recipe is here.

I am sitting in the San Jose airport, ready to board yet another flight, just thinking about how crazy this summer has been. Between planning a wedding, getting married, and trips to Minnesota, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Chicago, Germany, Wisconsin, Ohio, England, Norway, and California, this summer has been a little bit busy! There is only one more trip on the immediate horizon: Michigan. Soon I will be home in Indiana, settling into my routine. I have definitely enjoyed the traveling this summer -- it has been pretty awesome. But it will also be nice to be at home, and be able to do the things I usually do: work, cook, run, etc... There are many small things about home that I have missed these last few months: microwave popcorn at night, eating Cream of Wheat for dinner, walking to and from my office, eating a sno cone after a long run, movies at the theater, etc... In a week I will be home again to enjoy all those things. In the meatime, I will have one day at home before we drive up to Michigan to resume our house-hunting, get Matt settled in, attend Michigan State orientation things, etc... What a crazy summer!

No comments: