Sunday, October 04, 2009

Arista (Page 465)

RECIPE #1033

  • Date: Sunday, September 20, 2009 -- 6pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+


This recipe was on the list generated by the random number generator. The recipe called for a rib section center-cut pork loin roast, boned, then reassembled with the bones, and tied (I sent my special gentleman to the butcher to ask for that one!). Our excellent local butcher shop happily agreed to do this. I think the logic here is that the roast cooks better with the bones in, but carves better with the bones out. So if you bone it, then reassemble it with the bones, it will cook nicely, and be easy to carve! I made a mixture of garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Then I made a slit through the center of the pork loin (the long way), and stuffed some of the garlic mixture into the slit using the handle of a wooden spoon. I rubbed the remaining garlic paste on the outside of the pork loin, then I let the meat marinate at room temerature for 30 minutes. I cooked the pork in a roasting pan in the oven until it reached an internal temperature of 145. Then I let it rest, then served it! This recipe was super simple and very tasty. The meat was perfectly cooked, and it had a good flavor to it. My special gentleman suggested that it might have been nice to have more than one garlic-filled slit in the pork, and I agree that the dish could have supported more garlic! The exterior of the roast got a lovely flavorful brown on it. I am typically a little skeptical about pork with rosemary, because often the rosemary is very overpowering. Here, though, it was in a lovely balance with the garlic and didn't overpower the dish at all. I would have like to have a nice sauce with this dish, but as it was it was still very tasty!

The recipe is here.

Today, for the first time in a long time, my special gentleman and I are officially not renting any storage units! I am irrationally excited about this fact. More than a year ago we moved all of my special gentleman's belongings to Michigan and put them in storage. He kept his math books and a few items of clothing with him, but everything else we stored. So he has been living more or less out of a suitcase for more than a year. Six months later, when my parents moved out of their house, they generously gave us most of their furniture and we put it in storage in Indiana. Before the wedding we put even more things in Indiana storage (to make room for the ceremony in our apartment!) and when I moved apartments this fall we put even more things in storage! So, by early this fall the vast majority of our belongings were sitting in one of our two storage units. But now, everything is out! Two weekends ago we moved everything in the Michigan storage unit into our new house. Last weekend we drove a moving truck up from Indiana with (almost) everything from our storage unit in Bloomington. Today I drove out to the storage unit to take out those last few things and remove our lock. It's a good feeling to have all of our belongings with us again. It was so exciting to see the furniture we had been storing (Matt was more than a little excited to see the ping pong table we took from my parents' house!). It also means we only have one more move on the horizon -- in May we will move all the things in my apartment in Indiana up to our house in Michigan. And then we won't move again for a long, long time! Yay!

No comments: