Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Portuguese White Cornmeal Bread (Page 608)

RECIPE #1038

  • Date: Friday, October 23, 2009 -- 11pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I was in the mood for some homemade bread the other day, and I made this recipe to satisfy that craving! I started by proofing some yeast in warm water with sugar. Then I added more water, melted butter, salt, white cornmeal, and flour. I kneaded the mixture on a floured surface until smooth and elastic. Then I let it rise an hour and a half. I shaped the dough into 2 balls, put each of them in a buttered pie plate dusted with cornmeal, and let them rise again. Then I brushed the loaves with milk, cut an X in the top of each of them and baked them until golden brown. This bread was very tasty. It was a simple bread recipe but the white cornmeal elevated it to something special. The cornmeal both contributed nicely to the texture of the bread and gave it a subtle, but lovely, flavor. It was tender but crusty, and held up nicely for sandwiches. This would be the perfect bread to accompany a hearty winter stew.

The recipe is here.

There has been a lot of excitement as of late here at The Gourmet Project! Today a picture of one of my cakes was featured in a photo gallery on the CNN website! If it's still up, you can see it here. It's the third picture in the gallery (the one with the mango ribbons!).

Also exciting: recently I arrived home one day to find at my doorstep a copy of Gourmet Today, signed by Ruth Reichl herself! Gourmet Today is a sequel of sorts to The Gourmet Cookbook. The idea is that this new book responds more to the latest trends in food: quicker recipes, more vegetarian items, healthy options, sustainable ingredients, etc... No, I don't plan on trying to cook every recipe in that book too (although my husband really wants me to!), but I will certainly cook from it. I am very attached to The Gourmet Cookbook now that I am 1038 recipes into it, and I am optimistic that Gourmet Today will also be wonderful!

6 comments:

mike hill said...

She sent you a copy? That's awesome! I wonder if she still reads the blog. It was so crazy when she commented!

Adam said...

Congrats on the CNN shout out. My, that is one handsome cheesecake. Now that my wife is eating dairy again, I just might have to make it soon. I've even got some key lime juice in my freezer waiting for a good use.

Teena said...

Mike: Well, to be fair it was the publisher who sent it to me. I'm not so sure that Ruth Reichl reads my blog :)

Adam: Thanks! It was a good cheesecake -- one of the better ones in The Book.

Rachel said...

You should totally extend this project to the new cookbook. How can you not?! I've only gotten to eat a few recipes from this first project...

Teena said...

Rach -- Ha ha! Well, you hardly ever come visit us out here in Indiana/Michigan! Would that change if I started cooking through another book? :)

Jessica said...

I wish TJOC was as supportive as Gourmet :)

And that bread looks absolutely amazing. I love cornmeal.