Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Pasta Dough (Page 209)

RECIPE #1046

  • Date: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty, Karen H, Dave, Brad, and Deniz
  • Recipe Rating: B+


There are two different fresh pasta doughs in The Book, and although I had made the other one, somehow I hadn't made this one yet. I figured it was about time to fix that! I made some ravioli from The Book and this recipe was a component of that dish. The Book gives two options in this recipe. One option is to mix and knead the dough by hand. The other is to use a food processor for the mixing and kneading. Typically I make my pasta by hand, so I figured I would give the food processor route a try. I combined flour, eggs, water, and salt in a food processor. I pulsed until the dough came together, then I processed it for 15 seconds more to knead it. Then I turned the dough out onto a floured surface and let it rest for an hour. That was it! Of course, the time consuming part of making homemade pasta is rolling out the dough, which was a part of the ravioli recipe, not this one. But this was indeed a super-quick way to throw together a pasta dough. I used this dough to make ravioli and they came out very nicely. This dough was not as easy to work with as my usual pasta dough recipe (which I got in culinary school). But after a few passes through the pasta machine, it was more workable. This recipe didn't have any olive oil in it. Olive oil is often (but not always) found in pasta dough. I like the effect that a little olive oil has on the flavor and texture of fresh pasta, so I missed that here. This dough held up well for making ravioli though and it cooked up nicely. I'll probably stick to my usual pasta dough recipe, but this is certainly a solid recipe.

The recipe is here.

I opened the freezer a few minutes ago and food fell out on me. This is a good thing. I have been cooking like a crazy woman the last 5 days or so, and for the first time in a long time I have a backlog of recipes to blog about, and the freezer is bursting with food!

This semester has been crazy busy. Even in busier times though, I have found the motivation to cook. This semester was different. I don't know if I was exhausted from marathon training, or from teaching 330 students, but I just couldn't motivate to cook. Actually, I couldn't motivate to go to the grocery store so that I could cook. But now we are entering into the holiday season, which means visitors, and parties, and all sorts of fun occasions that call for food. This season of celebration has given me a second wind! It has also given me people to cook for! Since I moved to my new apartment in Bloomington I haven't been able to have anyone over for dinner. There's not really anywhere for guests to eat. In particular, I moved my dining table to the house in Michigan. I would feel a little bad having guests eat on the floor, so I haven't been throwing any dinner parties. And our house in Michigan is perfectly suited for dinner guests, but until recently I hadn't been set up to do any serious cooking there. This weekend, though, I am headed to Michigan and my husband's parents, brother, and sister-in-law are coming to visit! So I am going to cook a big meal one night (which I have already started -- hence the overflowing freezer)!

It's nice to be cooking frequently again. I am remembering how much I love creating new things, and checking them off in The Book. I may finish this project in a timely manner after all! Less than 250 recipes to go!

No comments: