Sunday, November 22, 2009

Classic Brioches (Page 612)

RECIPE #1047

  • Date: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 -- 10pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Deniz, Brad, Dave, and Karen H
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I hadn't made these brioches yet because I didn't have the proper molds. We got them as a wedding present though (thanks Grant and Anna!), so I was finally equipped for this recipe. I made these brioches last week and froze them so we could have them with breakfast this weekend when my in-laws visited. The majority of the time that went into this recipe went into making the dough, which was a separate recipe that I had already made once before and blogged about here. Once the dough was ready I brushed the molds with melted butter. Then I kneaded the dough for a minute, then cut it into ten pieces. From each piece I tore off one-quarter of the dough and made it into a small ball. I formed the other three-quarters of each piece into a bigger ball. Then I put the bigger ball into a mold, used my finger to make an indentation, and put the smaller ball on top. I repeated with the remaining nine molds, then covered the molds with plastic wrap and let the brioches rise for an hour and a half. I brushed them with a mixture of egg yolk and heavy cream and baked them until golden brown. My brioches weren't the cutest -- several of my top knots were more than a little lopsided! But they were tasty! They had all the buttery flavor you would expect from brioches, and they were beautifully crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. I froze them the night I baked them, and when I wanted to reheat them I put them in the oven directly from the freezer. They were just as good reheated that way, and everyone enjoyed them spread with jam as part of a breakfast spread.

This recipe isn't online.

What a fun weekend! My husband's parents, brother Brad, and sister-in-law Deniz came to visit us in Michigan this weekend. They hadn't seen our new house yet, so it was especially exciting to have them visit. Their visit was made even more exciting by the fact that Brad and Deniz just got puppies! Their miniature dachshund puppies Hanby and Wellington are about two months old and SUPER cute. They are incredibly small, and extremely energetic. They provided a lot of entertainment! When we weren't occupied by staring at the puppies we also spent some time walking around campus, eating big meals, and exploring downtown Lansing. It was a lovely weekend. When we were picking a house one of our priorities was to find a house that would be good for having company stay with us. We love it when our family and friends come visit us, so that was a big priority. I think we succeeded on that count -- everyone who has stayed with us so far has seemed comfortable with the accommodations!

Tomorrow morning my special gentleman and I are headed back to Indiana so I can teach on Tuesday. Then on Tuesday night we will drive to his parents house in Ohio for Thanksgiving weekend. I love this time of year -- full of holidays and family (and good food of course!)!

No comments: