Saturday, April 25, 2009

Brioche Dough (Page 612)

RECIPE #978

  • Date: Sunday, April 19, 2009 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-



This recipe came off the list generated by the random number generator. The Book has the Brioche Dough as a subrecipe of the Brioche Loaf recipe (so the ingredients for the Brioche Loaf are the Brioche Dough and some egg wash). I forgot to take a picture of the dough before I baked it, so this post and the next one (about the Brioche Loaf) will have the same picture. To make this dough I started by making a starter. I proofed some yeast with sugar and milk, then stirred in some flour and let it sit for an hour. I beat some eggs in a mixer bowl, then added a mixture of hot milk, sugar and salt. In several additions I added some flour, another egg, and some butter. Then I put the dough hook in my mixer and added the starter to the mixture. I beat it with the dough hook until smooth, then added more butter and beat it some more. I let it rise for a couple hours then punched it down and put it in the refrigerator overnight. I didn't actually taste the dough when it was raw, but I will say that it made killer brioche (more on that in the next post). My one complaint about this recipe was that it wasn't quite as fun as some brioche doughs I have made. In particular, brioche dough recipes often involve some crashing (slamming of the dough against a counter). Crashing is fun (and noisy!) and I missed that in this recipe. However, it was much less messy without the crashing, and the brioche turned out great, so it was no major loss. Keep in mind if you make this that brioche dough is always very sticky -- don't be tempted to add extra flour!!

Here is the recipe.

The second half of this week has been busy, busy, busy. For one thing, my birthday was yesterday! I had a really nice day. To celebrate, my special gentleman and I went to the very small town of Story, Indiana last night. Story is an unincorporated town -- actually the whole town is now just an Inn which has been standing there since 1851. As part of the Indiana Wine Fair, the Story Inn hosted an evening of jazz, wine, and barbecue last night. It was really fun. We ate some delicious food, drank some Indiana wine, then curled up on a blanket under the stars and listened to some excellent live music. The surroundings were gorgeous -- wooded and beautiful. We were discussing on the hour or so drive to Story how before moving to Southern Indiana we had no idea how beautiful it would be! The roads to Story were very narrow and very, very windy. On the way there it was light out and quite fun for driving. On the way back it was extremely dark and a little nerve wracking! In one 5 mile stretch we encountered 3 different instances of deer standing in the road. I drove very slowly, with the windows down so we could hear the deer rustling in the bushes before they crossed onto the road. It was worth the tense driving though because it was such a great evening! Here's a birthday picture of us in Story.

No comments: