Sunday, April 05, 2009

Tahini Dressing (Page 172)

RECIPE #968

  • Date: Sunday, March 8, 2009 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: B


I made this recipe because I spotted some tahini in the store the other day and thought, "Ooo, I need tahini for something in The Book!" Since the recipes are starting to run a bit low, when I spot a harder-to-find ingredient, I buy it and make the recipe! This dressing was super simple. It had a Start to Finish time of 5 minutes. I don't have too many of those left! To make this I took tahini, water, lemon juice, garlic cloves, salt, and sugar, threw them in a blender, and blended until smooth. That's it! In fact, it may have taken less than 5 minutes! This dressing was fine. Not surprisingly, it had a strong flavor of tahini. I ate it on some carrots and it was appropriate for that purpose. It would also make a nice sauce on some falafel, or dressing on a leafy green salad.

The recipe is here.

Thoughout gradaute school I had many, many dinner parties, often on Sunday nights. On one such Sunday, a bunch of people had come over for a big meal. Around 10pm a friend of mine said she needed to go because she hadn't yet planned her classes for the next morning. She was a post-doc at the time, teaching two different undergraduate classes. I remember being shocked, absolutely shocked, that at 10pm on a Sunday night she hadn't planned her classes for the next day. "When I'm a post-doc," I thought, "I'm sure I will plan my classes weeks in advance."

I am, generally speaking, a planner. When I have an important seminar talk coming up I write it way in advance. I like having a draft and having some time to think on it. It also makes me more comfortable to have lived with the talk for a few weeks before presenting it. I always assumed that as a teacher, it would be the same. That dream, however, seems to be a little unrealistic. At the beginning of each semester I do manage to get ahead. There was certainly a point during this semester when I had my lecture notes written three weeks ahead. But inevitably things get busy, and I slowly have fewer and fewer lectures ready in advance. Which brings me to a moment like now. It's 9:32pm on Sunday night and I have not written lecture notes for tomorrow. I am in exactly the situation I couldn't possibly imagine ever being in. It's not a big deal at all. I have certainly thought through what I will talk about tomorrow, and in a few minutes I will sit down and write my notes. I try to never leave any lecture planning to do in the morning, before class. Certainly it has happened that I am still planning my course in the morning -- but only under extreme circumstances. But often I plan my class the day before, instead of weeks in advance, and it works out just fine. If I could go back and tell my younger self to not be so shocked, I would. Live and learn...

Time to go plan my class!

2 comments:

M and M said...

Hi Teena! I'm going to finally buy some really nice cooking pans for my kitchen - any suggestions? (Not restaurant grade, of course, but I plan on helping the economy a bit with this purchase). Miss you! Uh, oh, you can e-mail me your thoughts OR leave a message on my blog :-)

Irina said...

Yes you are right! this is good as a dressing on a green salad and also on falafel. Thanks for posting such a wonderful dish. I hope we will get many more in near future.