Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Coq au Vin (Page 368)

RECIPE #972

  • Date: Monday, April 6, 2009 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I had been putting off making this recipe because of the pearl onions. I just hate those things (as I have mentioned!). It's such a pain peeling the tiny onions, one by one. On this recipe I finally caved and used the frozen, already peeled pearl onions. And you know what? I don't think the recipe suffered for it! I started this dish by boiling some bacon for a few minutes and then draining it. I then cooked the bacon in a skillet until browned. I removed the bacon and browned chicken pieces in the bacon fat. I removed the chicken from the skillet and added my pearl onions, cooking until browned. Then I put the onions in a big pot along with the bacon, red wine, chicken stock, and a bouquet garni of celery, parsley, thyme, and bay leaf and simmered for 10 minutes. Then I added the chicken and simmered some more. Meanwhile, I cooked some mushrooms in bacon fat, then added Cognac. I added the mushrooms to the chicken and cooked some more. When the chicken was cooked, I thickened the sauce with a beurre manie (flour smushed with butter), seasoned and served. Well, that's what I was supposed to do anyway. It drives me nuts though when The Book calls for chicken to be cooked using a moist heat cooking method (like this one) with the skin on, and then served with the skin. Skin + moist heat cooking = soggy skin. Soggy skin is not delicious. So right after I took the picture I took all the meat off the bone, discarded the skin, shredded the meat, and added it back into the sauce. Served that way, it was delicious. This dish was great. The sauce was flavorful and just fantastically tasty. The mushrooms and bacon made a good combination and the red wine took it from tasty to awesome. I even enjoyed the pearl onions. If the recipe hadn't called for the chicken to be served with the skin on, I would have given it an A. As it was, the recipe needed to be modified. If you make it, take the time to remove the meat from the skin and bones. You won't be sorry!

This recipe isn't online.

My apologies for the lengthy blog silence. We have been traveling for the last five days, first to Michigan and then to New York. The Michigan trip was a house hunting mission (more on that later), which went really well. Unfortunately the trip to New York was not for such a happy occasion. One of my special gentleman's dearest friends lost his father, so we flew out to New York on Monday to attend the funeral. It was an extremely sad occasion. The service was beautiful and it was obvious that this was a man who was very loved. I can't even imagine the pain of losing a spouse or parent, and I am certainly keeping the family in my thoughts...

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I hate pearl onions too--do you blanch them before peeling? It speeds the process up quite a bit. Even so, it seems to take FOREVER.

Teena said...

I do blanch before peeling, but it still takes way too long in my opinion! Plus, they just aren't that good!