Thursday, April 16, 2009

Korean Short Ribs (Page 445)

RECIPE #973

  • Date: Tuesday, April 7, 2009 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-


We had some really excellent short ribs from The Book a few weeks ago, so I figured I would try another short rib recipe. I started by scoring the meaty side of each short rib. I then sprinkled them with sugar and refrigerated them for 8 hours. Following that, I marinated them in a mixture of soy sauce, sesame oil, scallions, sesame seeds, garlic, ginger, and pepper for 2 hours. Once they had finished marinating, I cooked the ribs under the broiler for about 15 minutes, and then served. I was skeptical about this recipe from the beginning for the following reason: short ribs are a pretty fatty cut of meat. They are fantastic when braised because those big veins of fat melt into the braising liquid, and the meat becomes wonderfully tender. In this recipe, however, the short ribs were cooked very quickly, which meant that the fat did not melt away and the meat wasn't slow-cooked to tenderness. Indeed my major complaint about this dish was that it was difficult to avoid getting a big bite of fat (which is kind of gross) and the meat was a bit tough. The flavors were awesome though. The marinade was delicious, and the slightly burnt taste from the broiling made it superb. I will definitely use this marinade (and the dusting of sugar) again on a cut of beef more suitable to quick cooking methods.

This recipe isn't online.

Well, today didn't go exactly as planned. I had an appointment to pick up my wedding dress in Indianapolis today. I am really excited to see my finished dress, and I have been looking forward to going to get it. I woke up to my alarm this morning, feeling totally fine. I was still half awake when I wandered into the bathroom to get in the shower. I caught a glance of myself in the mirror and noticed I looked strange. It didn't really register though until I was standing in the shower and looked down at myself. The majority of my body was covered in bright red splotchy spots. It looked just like measles, although I was pretty sure that wasn't what it was. It turns out I have developed an allergy to penicillin. I'm not sick -- I have only been on the antibiotic because I was scheduled to have a root canal next week. But I had to immediately stop taking the drug, and they decided it would be better to do my root canal today. So, instead of my day of wedding dress fun, I had a root canal (and a filling in another tooth, and a temporary crown put on...)! I spent three hours at the dentist, and although it wasn't as bad as I expected, it also wasn't fun. Meanwhile, despite not having taken any of the antibiotic since last night, the rash continues to spread. Aside from my face (which has thus far been spared) my entire body is covered. My hands, my feet, even the inside of my belly button is speckled with bright red splotches. It is not pretty. On the upside, my tooth is feeling pretty good. I worry about any procedure where they prescribe vicodin for pain, but so far I haven't needed my vicodin at all!

I rescheduled my wedding dress appointment for next week. Hopefully I will actually make it there that time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have to slice them real thin so the fat renders out--more like a slice of corned beef than a thick steak. The ones they sell at Korean markets are maybe 1/3 inch.