Tuesday, April 07, 2009

White Bordelaise Sauce (Page 881)

RECIPE #970

  • Date: Monday, March 9, 2009 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: B+

I put off making this sauce because it calls for chicken stock, with a warning: do not use canned broth. I was out of homemade chicken stock for a long time, so I had to make that before I could make this sauce. So I started by making some chicken stock. Then I cooked onion and garlic in olive oil, and added white wine, white port, and bay leaf and reduced. Then I added the chicken stock and reduced again. Finally I added some veal demi-glace (a.k.a. super concentrated veal stock) and reduced again. Then I strained and served. This sauce had a pretty good flavor to it -- the chicken stock and veal demi-glace together was a bit weird to me, but I still liked it. The consistency of the sauce was a little thin (perhaps I should have reduced some more!). I was surprised by this sauce because it wasn't at all what I was expecting. Having only read the title I expected the sauce to be, well, white. Indeed it was not! Typical bordelaise is made with red wine and beef marrow, and so it is indeed darker than this. But that still didn't make this sauce white! Culinary naming schemes crack me up! In any event, it was pretty good. I didn't like it as much as a typical bordelaise, but it was still quite tasty.

The recipe is here.

This was the last recipe in the Sauces and Salsas section! Yay! This is the second section I have finished. That means it is time to list my top five (in no particular order):
  • Marchand de Vin Butter -- Usually I am not too excited about compound butters, but this butter with shallots cooked in red wine smushed into it was excellent!
  • Stilton Sauce -- This sauce was amazing. My special gentleman and I just sat there and marveled at its deliciousness. Yum!
  • White Butter Sauce with Cream -- You would expect beurre nantais to be delicious (butter and cream -- how can you go wrong?!?), and this recipe did not disappoint.
  • Papaya Pineapple Salsa -- The perfect topping for a fish taco!
  • Green Mayonnaise -- We ate all 9 mayo-based sauces on the same day (yay, mayonnaise tasting!), and this was by far the best. Very tasty!
I'm sad to be done with the Sauces and Salsas section. It was a fun section to cook through. I will certainly come back to many of the sauces from this section in the future. Two sections done, nineteen left to go!

3 comments:

ana rita said...

Congratulations!
Ah, I remember the mayo tasting party! You know, I was just thinking the other day, I miss our Wednesday night cooking...

vero said...

I think "white" in white bordelaise sauce refers to white bordeau wine instead of the red bordeau wine.

In fact, Philippe and my mom had a conversation recently on the fact that "refined" people do not use the colour of the sauce to name it. (My mom has a "white sauce" and a "brown sauce".)

Teena said...

Ana -- yeah, I miss Wednesday cooking too! That was so much fun!

Vero -- I'm sure you're right. That must be what the "white" meant. But not having really thought about it in advance I was definitely expecting a sauce that was actually white. Maybe that means I am unrefined!!