Wednesday, February 20, 2008

White Butter Sauce with Cream (Page 882)

  • Date: Sunday, February 17, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A


On Sunday night Matty and I recreated the menu from Saturday night (fish, rice, and broccoli with sauce) with a different set of recipes from The Book. This was the sauce to accompany the broccoli. I found it impossible to eat this sauce without making borderline-indecent groaning noises. It was that good. This version of beurre nantais was exactly as it should be: rich, flavorful, and delicious! The texture of the sauce was absolutely perfect -- smooth with an ideal consistency. Sometimes renditions of beurre blanc and beurre nantais suffer from tasting only like butter. In this recipe the shallot-vinegar-wine reduction gave the sauce a beautiful flavor and depth. This sauce was excellent on broccoli, as I am sure it would be on its more traditional partner, fish. Overall: yum! This recipe is disastrously bad for you, but worth it!

Here is the recipe.

Tomorrow after I teach my class it is off to California. On the agenda for my trip: throw Emilee a baby shower, meet with Mike (my post-doc supervisor), give a seminar at Stanford, and celebrate Chris' birthday with him.

Planning a baby shower has been a learning experience for me. Em is my first close friend to have a baby, so not only have I never thrown a baby shower before, but I haven't even been to one since I was a little kid and my mom took me to her friends' showers. Luckily, Rachel knows all about these things, so she has been leading me through it! Apparently baby showers have games. And apparently baby shower games are gross. There is a whole genre of games involving melted chocolate and diapers. Needless to say, this is not going to be that kind of shower. Rach and I picked some slightly classier shower games. The one I am looking forward to the most: a baby food tasting. Guests will taste and try to identify unlabeled baby food! Mmmm....

Aside from the games there will be food (real, adult food -- not just unlabeled Gerber's), tea, presents, and general merriment. It should be fun! Emilee is going to be an amazing mother, and it brings me so much joy to be able to celebrate with her. I haven't even seen her since she got pregnant, so I am so excited to be able to go out there this weekend!

No comments: