Sunday, February 03, 2008

Coffee Coffee Cake with Espresso Glaze (Page 644)

  • Friday, January 25, 2008 -- 10am
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-


Matty picked this one from the Breakfast and Brunch section of The Book during his last visit. I am completely decaffeinated, and hence don't usually eat this type of thing, so it seemed wise to make it while Matty was around (as he is very much not caffeine-free). I did eat some of this coffee cake (in order to grade it!) but Matty took care of most of it. This cake was quite good. The coffee cake batter was very typical (with lots of sour cream and butter!), and then some of it was mixed with instant espresso to give it a coffee kick. The plain batter was layered with the coffee batter in the pan (you can see this a bit in the picture -- there is a dark stripe through the middle), and then the whole thing was baked and glazed with a coffee glaze. The end result was intensely coffee flavored. Matty declared it the first coffee cake he had ever had that lived up to its name. The cake was moist, with a tender crumb. The exterior had a very slight buttery crust to it, which was delicious. The glaze was a perfect, sweet complement to a cake which wasn't itself very sweet. Overall it was a strong recipe. Matty declared it the best coffee cake he had ever had. I prefer my coffee cake to be not coffee flavored, but if you want a coffee coffee cake, this is about as good as it's going to get.

This recipe isn't online.

My apologies for the blog silence. I had a bad couple days and I didn't feel like writing anything. Things seem better now though. I was apparently so pathetic on Friday that yesterday Paul came all the way from Cincinatti to cheer me up. It was great to see him and we had such a fun day. We went out for brunch, went to visit the puppies at the mall, went to the Bloomington Chocolate Fest, made pizza... It was a good day. And it was apparently just what I needed because today I feel like myself again! This is especially good because my bad mood and problems sleeping at the end of last week made me remarkably unproductive. Now, I have a lot of work to catch up on! First up: I need to write an exam that I should have written days ago. I am giving it on Tuesday, so it absolutely has to be done today so it can get copied tomorrow! Speaking of, I should get to it...

3 comments:

vero said...

Do you think you could replace the coffee with decaf in this recipe? I love the taste of coffee, but caffeine makes me way too hyper!

Glad you're feeling better!

Kevin said...

It's funny when our blogs synch up, this recipe was my most recent post.

I'm glad you enjoyed this cake, I was too sick to taste it, and had to give it an estimated mark. My guess was approximately equivalent to your A-.

Teena said...

Vero: I think you could definitely replace the coffee with decaf. The only problem is that in addition to brewed coffee this recipe also calls for instant espresso powder, which I don't think I have ever seen in a decaffeinated variety. If you could find it, you could definitely substitute it, but I wouldn't know where to look...

Kevin: It's a shame that your taste buds missed this one -- it was pretty good!