Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Bacon-Wrapped Trout with Rosemary (Page 317)

  • Date: Sunday, February 17, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-


This recipe was part of my ongoing eat-seafood-while-in-Boston plan. This trout was very simply prepared and very tasty. The inside of the trout was seasoned with salt, pepper, and rosemary, and then the trout was wrapped in bacon and broiled until it was cooked through. This simple preparation served the trout well. The bacon and rosemary contributed a nice amount of flavor without weighing down the fish. The fish came out moist, with a nice clean flavor. The bacon itself crisped nicely in the broiler. I appreciate simple preparations of fish, and this one didn't disappoint.

Here is the recipe.

My apologies for the lengthy blog silence. My trip to California was jam-packed and I just didn't have any time to blog! Now I am back in Bloomington. My trip home was fortunately less eventful than my trip there, which was a disaster.

It started last Thursday. I taught until 2:15pm and then headed right to the airport. It was snowing, so traffic was slow and I was running later than I would have liked. But I made it to the airport in time, parked in long term parking and got on the shuttle to the terminal. We were just leaving the parking lot when I realized I left my wallet in the car. So I convinced the driver to let me off of the bus and I ran through 17 rows of parking lot, with 4 pieces of luggage (not my fault -- tons of stuff for the baby shower!), in the snow. I got my wallet, and waited for another shuttle. Finally it came and I made it to the check-in desk 42 minutes before my flight was schedule to leave. The computer told me I was too late to check in and the woman behind the desk agreed with it. I begged. She still said no. Finally I started explaining about the wallet, and the snow, etc... She still said no. So I cried. She looked at me, crying, said, "Fine," and checked me in. I rushed through security only to find that my flight was delayed for some engine problem. I wasn't worried -- my layover in Ohare was 2 hours and 45 minutes long. The plane out of Indianapolis left the gate an hour and a half late, so I still had plenty of time. But then we waited to be de-iced for a half an hour, we taxied for 15 minutes, we circled Ohare for a while, and we taxied for another 10 minutes in Chicago. Add it all up and I got to the gate for my flight to San Jose just in time to see the plane pull away. It was the last Bay Area flight of the night. So I was stuck. Fortunately, the airline put me up in a super-swanky hotel. If you are going to get stranded you might as well get stranded in a king-sized bed with a fluffy down comforter. The downside: they wouldn't give me my luggage overnight. Luckily I had my tumor medication in my carry-on, but not much else. After a night of rest in Chicago, I ended up making it to California a bit more than 24 hours after I left. Ah, traveling...

2 comments:

Deniz said...

Nightmare travel experience! We really ought to permanently give you a key to the condo so that you can stay there if we are out of town. Easy access to clothes!

Teena said...

That might be a good idea! I really do have terrible travel luck!