Monday, February 11, 2008

Italian Chicken Soup with Egg Strands and Parmesan (Page 123)

  • Date: Saturday, February 9, 2008 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-


Last week I picked recipes that were quick and easy, and this soup fit the bill. Soup doesn't get much simpler than this. Chicken stock is boiled and then a mixture of egg, cheese, scallions, and parsley is whisked in to form egg strands. It is cooked for 2 minutes, and then served, sprinkled with more cheese. Indeed, this recipe was easy. It was also pretty boring. I used some homemade chicken stock I had in the freezer, so the base for the soup had a nice chicken flavor. Unfortunately the egg didn't add much to it. I had hoped for a stronger parmesan flavor, but the cheese didn't come through clearly at all. The soup tasted like chicken broth with some cooked egg floating in it. There is nothing bad about that, but also nothing inspiring. Despite the nice flavor of the broth, halfway though my bowl I stopped eating it out of boredom. I appreciate simplicity, but this recipe took it too far. It needed more flavor!

This recipe isn't online.

I have to brag for a minute about my special gentleman friend. (This will embarrass him of course, but luckily he usually forgets to read my blog!) I think I mentioned earlier that he was on the job market this season, applying for real tenure-track jobs. For those of you out there who aren't math academics, trust me when I say that this is a big deal! It's very competitive and there are lots of really smart people applying for not-so-many jobs. Despite this, I had no doubt that he would do well. And indeed he did! After flying around to interviews for weeks and weeks he ended up with several great offers to choose from. Yesterday he officially accepted a job at Michigan State, a great math department that is really strong in his research area! Yay! I am very proud (and also excited, of course, that he will be living in the Midwest!). Becoming a professor at a major research university is a huge accomplishment, and I am just overwhelmed with happiness for him! Yay!

Last night to celebrate we went out for an extremely leisurely dinner. We drank crazy purple drinks in martini glasses, and ate way too much. And we relaxed! It was awesome.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Congrats to Matt!!! That's very exciting!

Teena said...

Thanks Rach! I will pass along your congratulations to Matt!

Deniz said...

Tell Matt congratulations from Brad & I!! Awesome news! Glad to hear he will be in the Midwest as well :).

Magdalen said...

And, of course, official congratulations from a complete stranger!

Teena said...

Thanks!!