Sunday, February 17, 2008

Avgolemono (Page 885)

  • Date: Saturday, February 16, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: C+


Matty and I share a love of broccoli. Since I made all the broccoli recipes in The Book long ago, I am now making all the sauces that can be served with broccoli! This one was not a winner. In general I am not a huge fan of avgolemono (as either a sauce or a soup) but this recipe I liked even less than most. It had two big problems. One, it was too thin for a sauce. The texture was so watery that it ran right off the broccoli. The other problem was that the balance of egg and lemon was off. Usually avgolemono has more lemon and less egg than this recipe. This sauce tasted very eggy, which in and of itself isn't a bad thing, but the strong egg flavor didn't go so well with the lemon. The sauce would have had a cleaner, more appealing flavor with more lemon and less egg. In summary, this one wasn't great. On my second (and third!) serving of broccoli I opted to eat it plain rather than put this sauce on it.

This recipe isn't online.

My weekend in Boston is rapidly coming to a close. It has been nice to be back! Last semester I taught Monday-Wednesday-Friday, so although I made several trips back they were so short that I couldn't do too much while I was here. Now that I am teaching Tuesday-Thursday, I can make much more leisurely trips, which affords me time to do many things I love. This morning I went back to the homeless shelter for my usual Sunday lunch shift. It was great to see everyone! I have also been doing some cooking (last night and tonight I made big dinners), running (back to the MIT gym!), and work. It has been a lovely weekend. Tomorrow it is back to Bloomington for a few days before I fly off to California on Thursday. Busy, busy...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for California! Can't wait to see you...R

Teena said...

I can't wait to see you either! Only a few more days!