Friday, February 15, 2008

Lemon Pepper Seasoning (Page 931)

  • Date: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Recipe Rating: B


My week was pretty crazy, so I was looking for something extremely quick to make. This lemon pepper seasoning fit the bill. The Book says that this can be rubbed on chicken before roasting or sprinkled on cooked vegetables. I did the latter. I made myself a huge pot full of broccoli (four crowns worth -- have I ever mentioned that I LOVE broccoli) then I tossed it with some melted butter and lemon pepper seasoning. The verdict: not bad. This seasoning is exactly what it claims to be: lemon zest, black peppercorns, and good salt all ground together in a spice grinder. I used some pink Murray River salt from Australia (delicious!), which I think contributed to the unattractive brown color that my seasoning ended up. It was tasty though. My main complaint about this recipe was that the ratio of salt to other ingredients was too low. This may seem like a small complaint, but when there are only three ingredients, it makes a difference. I ended up adding some additional salt to my broccoli and that really brought out the flavors of the lemon and pepper. There was nothing particularly exciting or novel about this spice blend (then again, it was in the "Basics" section, so probably it wasn't meant to be earth-shattering), but it was a perfectly suitable lemon pepper seasoning.

This recipe isn't online.

I had an uneventful journey to Boston last night, and I made it just in time for the latest reservation possible for a Valentine's Day dinner at Ole. Yum! (Aside: my plane ticket for this trip was going to be so unreasonably expensive that I opted to use frequent flyer miles to get my first-ever free ticket. I was at peace with that until I got on the plane last night. The plane had 56 seats on it, and 21 passengers. I counted. So why, oh why, was it so expensive?!? If my flight back to Indy on Monday is more than half empty I am going to be completely confused...) Anyway, I am in Boston now, and this is the longest trip I have made back since I moved away. Today I went into the department at MIT, chatted with lots of people I hadn't seen in a while, and had a nice cup of tea with Haynes. This evening: dinner at my favorite Thai restaurant. I am always torn when I visit Boston because I want to eat at all the restaurants I grew attached to in my time here, but I also feel compelled to cook seafood from The Book, since fish of exotic varieties is not so easy to come by in Bloomington. So tomorrow: seafood!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're a mathematician - think of the airline industry as a very large, very complex equation. It was expensive because the airline doesn't look at individual passengers but rather as "seat-miles" - and then calculates the cost of fuel and manpower related to each of those seat-miles.

Add to that the fuel tariffs and costs incurred by maintenance and you start to get an idea of why things aren't cheap...

Teena said...

Yeah, I suppose I understand why flying is expensive to begin with, but what doesn't make sense to me is why some weekends the roundtrip flight to Boston is cheap and some weekends it is expensive. I thought that had to do with demand. But both my flights on this trip were half-empty and yet the price was quite high...