Friday, February 29, 2008

BL-Tomatoes (Page 26)

  • Date: Saturday, February 23, 2008 -- 2pm
  • Location: Menlo Park, CA
  • Kitchen: Emilee and Brian's Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Emilee
  • Dining Companions: Rachel, Brian, Alison, Helen W, Anh, and many other baby shower attendees
  • Recipe Rating: B+



I was looking for a quick hors d'oeuvre to make for Emilee's shower, and these stuffed tomatoes jumped out at me. It is a very simple idea: cherry tomatoes hollowed out and then stuffed with a mixture of mayo, crumbled bacon, and very finely cut lettuce. The concept is BLT without the bread. They were pretty tasty. Bacon, lettuce, and tomato are a classic combo for a reason. They play off each other nicely, making a fresh, meaty, salty, yummy flavor profile. My one complaint is that the mayo mixed with the tomato juices to form something pretty runny. The result: the consistency of the filling wasn't terribly appealing. Plus, it made them messy to eat. If you made the mistake of eating these in two bites instead of one, you found yourself with tomato-mayo mix running down your arms. That said, they tasted quite nice. They were very simple, with classic flavors, while also being visually appealing and tasty.

This recipe isn't online.

I have long maintained that I don't believe in grease fires. I have deep-friend many times without any incident. Once a pot of hot oil overflowed onto an open flame in my kitchen. Still nothing. Today, though, it happened: my first grease fire! Mike is here. I say that by way of explanation. Just kidding! I was actually wholly responsible for our flirtation with danger. We made a big dinner tonight (yum!) which involved deep-frying some pork (again, yum!). I was pouring off the 400 degree oil after we were done when I accidentally dripped some onto a hot burner on my flat-top stove. Before I knew it: flames! I was (of course) completely useless. I didn't run around screaming or anything, but I still had a vat of extremely hot oil in my hands and nowhere to put it (the only vacant burner was on fire!). Fortunately, Mike was here to save the day. He did exactly what they always say to do, and covered it. And just like that, the fire went out.

So, lesson learned. Grease fires do exist. And when they do, it is best to have Mike around! The kitchen disaster was minor and the meal was delicious (well, parts of the meal were delicious... more on that when I get to it), so it was a successful evening.

5 comments:

Daniel said...

I'm glad you finally got one. I tried my hardest with those sweet-potato chips but nothing happened

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to second the notion that grease fires are totally no good.
Also, i'm sure you've deep-fried many a times, but have you really "deep-friend" anything?

Teena said...

Daniel: Yeah, I know how hard you tried!

Anon: I sometimes have a little trouble typing...

Melanie said...

I can't believe that anyone who was a vegetarian for years on end would say "deep-fried pork, yum!"

Teena said...

Difficult to believe, no? I think 10 years of vegetarianism is responsible for my great appreciation of meat now!