Thursday, January 31, 2008

Anzac Biscuits (Page 666)

  • Date: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


Matty and I were in need of something sweet last week so I made a batch of these cookies. This recipe is based on a cookie that people made to support soldiers in the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) during World War I. After my first bite of cookie I thought to myself, "Poor soldiers, these are terrible." I probably wouldn't even have eaten a second cookie, but Matty loved them and his enthusiasm convinced me to give them another try. And indeed they grew on me. These cookies contained no egg, which affected the texture. They were a bit crispy and a bit chewy, but not at all cakey. The binder in this recipe was Lyle's Golden Syrup, which was a new ingredient for me. This British sugarcane syrup is approximately the consistency of honey, but with its own unique flavor. The cookies tasted a bit odd to me, and I think it was my unfamiliarity with Lyle's Golden Syrup that made them seem off. I got used to the flavor though and liked the cookies more and more as I ate a few of them. I didn't find them as amazing as Matty did, but I ended up enjoying them.

This recipe isn't online.

Last night I couldn't sleep. Sleeping is one thing that I have always been good at. My mother claims that I started sleeping through the night when I was only a couple weeks old. Even as a little kid I was always happy to go to bed and I fell asleep easily. These days it is extremely rare for me to still be awake five minutes after I lay down and close my eyes.

Last night, though, I couldn't sleep. I went to bed around 1am, but at 4am I was still awake. I just couldn't sleep. So I watched TV for a while (infomercials!). I thought about my lecture for today (on "end behavior," aka limits). I tried reading the dullest math book I could find on my shelf (no comment on which one that was!). Still, no luck. Eventually I drifted off and slept a few hours before waking up feeling groggy and grumpy. I don't know what has gotten into me. This has been a really stressful week. I was sick for most of it, which wasn't fun, and there has just been a lot of serious stuff going on (more on that another time). Apparently I am feeling the stress of it all. Tonight I am going to drink a beer before bed and hope that it knocks me out (yes, I am such a lightweight that one beer does the trick!). I could use some sleep...

No comments: