Monday, January 14, 2008

Broiled Polenta with Tomato Sauce (Page 266)

  • Date: Monday, January 7, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+


We made the Basic Polenta recipe a couple Saturdays ago and used half the recipe to make this broiled polenta the following Monday. This polenta was pretty tasty. I ate the leftovers of it for lunch all last week, and this week I have been missing it so much that I made another polenta recipe from The Book tonight. The idea behind this recipe is simple. You make polenta, then stir in some cheese and let it cool in the fridge. Once it sets you slice it, broil it, and top it with some tomato sauce. The recipe had only a couple small problems. One, the tomato sauce wasn't robust enough for this recipe. Polenta is delicious, but it doesn't have a tremendous amount of flavor. The tomato sauce was also a bit plain. The net result was delicious comfort food, but it was still a bit dull. I wouldn't serve it to company for that reason. It was sad really, because a delicious, flavorful tomato sauce would have made this recipe excellent! The other issue I had with this recipe was that the polenta slices were difficult to deal with after they had been under the broiler. When they were heated they became less structurally stable, which made them difficult to flip or move without breaking them. Despite those minor critiques, this dish was very tasty. I went rummaging through the freezer just last night to see if I had frozen any of it (sadly, no). It is too dull to serve as the vegetarian entree is aspires to be, but it makes excellent comfort food.

Here is the recipe.



I went to the gym tonight (it turns out that sitting on the sofa reading math papers does not help me make progress towards my goal of running five eight-minute miles -- going to the gym does). I could pay some amount of money to belong the gym at the university, but that gym isn't particularly close to either my apartment or the math department. Pathetically enough, I am much more likely to work out if getting there doesn't involve too much effort. So, a while back I joined a gym that it 3 blocks from my apartment. That is benefit number one of this gym. Benefit number two is that it costs seven dollars per month. Amazing, no? I think it's really supposed to cost $19.95 a month (still, dirt cheap), but the gym people are in cahoots with my leasing people and so it is even cheaper for me. The downside of my new gym: it is swamped with undergrads. This bothers me not too much (except when all the treadmills are full!) but I am not looking forward to the day when I run into one of my students there. Running into your students at the grocery store, or Target, is one thing, but running into them at the gym is a whole different thing. They don't want to see me all sweaty, wearing spandex pants. Right now, since the term just started, I wouldn't even recognize some of my current students even if they were there. So who knows, maybe tomorrow in lecture they will be whispering about my spandex when they should be learning about cost, revenue, and profit functions. Oh dear!

No comments: