Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake (Page 643)

  • Date: Friday, January 4, 2008 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


I was looking for something to make for brunch last weekend, so I made this coffee cake. It was ok. It was essentially just one big blueberry muffin, with sweetened almonds on top. Usually I am a huge fan of all sweet, crunchy toppings. In this case it just didn't work for me though. There were too many almonds. With half as many it would have been better. The other issue that I had with the topping was that it didn't go well with the cake itself. There were no almonds in the cake, and there was a choice of adding vanilla extract or almond. I chose vanilla, and hence there was no almond flavor in the cake either. Perhaps it would have been better had I chosen the almond extract. All that said, I did eat a lot of this coffee cake -- I just took off the topping. It worked out well because Matty really liked the topping, so I would take it off and he would eat it. I wouldn't make this again though. A nice batch of blueberry muffins with struesel topping has all of the good qualities of this recipe without the bad ones.

This recipe isn't online.

When I was in elementary school, the first day of school each year always made me really nervous. Would my friends be in my class? Would the mean girls be there too? Would the boy I had a crush on have the desk next to mine? It was stressful. I remember not sleeping well.

Embarrassingly enough, the first day teaching a new class also makes me nervous. The reasons are (obviously) different. In fact, I'm not even particularly sure what they are. It's just a strange situation, standing in front of 80 complete strangers, trying to figure out what they are like, and whether or not they are understanding what you are trying to teach them. It's stranger still, because although they are all strangers, you know that by the end of the term you will know who they all are and have had various interactions with them. Last semester there were a couple students who whispered to each other throughout the first few weeks of class. They drove me crazy, and I just figured they weren't serious students. Around week 4 they stopped whispering, and started really paying attention. It turned out that one of them was arguably the best student in the class, and the other was not far behind. It's just hard to tell at first. My first day teaching M119 was today. I think it went fine. Topics: Section 1.1: "What is a function?" and Section 1.2: "Linear Functions." Fun, fun...

No comments: