Sunday, January 27, 2008

Lemon Broth with Green Pea Ravioli (Page 92)

  • Date: Sunday, January 20, 2008 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


I chose this recipe because it's another one that utilizes my new food mill. This recipe was very simple. Wonton wrappers were used to make ravioli with a green pea filling, and they were served in a lemon-infused chick broth. This making-ravioli-with-wonton-wrappers thing is common practice, but it's not nearly as good as real homemade ravioli (made using fresh pasta). Granted, it is orders of magnitude less work to use wonton wrappers than to make your own pasta, but if you are going to the trouble of stuffing your own ravioli, why not go all the way with it? Making fresh pasta is fun, and delicious. It's worth the trouble. This recipe called for wonton wrappers though, so wonton wrappers it was. The ravioli turned out fine. Obviously I wasn't crazy about the "pasta" itself, but the filling was pretty tasty. I used some homemade chicken stock from the freezer rather than store-bought broth, which I would recommend doing for this recipe. There is not much to the broth, so homemade stock versus the stuff from a can makes a noticeable difference. The final verdict: this recipe was fine. I enjoyed my bowl of it well-enough, but I wasn't eager for seconds.

Here is the recipe.

This week is "The Week of Chocolate" in Bloomington. Throughout the week there are various chocolate-themed events and the whole thing is a fund-raiser for some local charities. Tonight was The Art of Chocolate. It was an evening of hors d'oeuvres, cocktails, and lots of chocolate held at the Indiana University art museum. Matty and I had a lovely time. Bloomington's best chefs each had a spread of delicacies to be enjoyed. A few highlights of the night: a chocolate-themed tour of the art collection, chocolate-dipped gingerbread topped with lingonberries from Limestone Grille, and some live chocolate art (think: naked people covered in chocolate). My favorite treat of the night: amazing pork ribs covered in a chocolate-based sauce from Daniel Orr at FARMbloomington. Delicious! I haven't seen so much chocolate in one place since the last time I went to the chocolate bar at the Langham in Boston. This coming Saturday the Week of Chocolate will close with Chocolate Fest which promises to be another all-you-can-eat chocolate extravaganza. I'm looking forward to it!

No comments: