Saturday, January 12, 2008

Baked Belgian Endive with Pecorino and Walnuts (Page 539)

  • Date: Saturday, January 5, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-


We had a delicious Belgian endive hors d'oeuvre a few weeks ago, so I was drawn to this endive recipe. This recipe wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Matty and I had different complaints. He was bothered by the texture. The endives were baked (covered) for quite a while, so they essentially got steamed. Hence their texture was limp and a bit slimy. I had expected this texture, and so wasn't particularly appalled by it, but Matty was horrified that something once so deliciously crispy had lost so much of its integrity. My complaint was more about the flavor. Endives are bitter, which often works in their favor. Many endive dishes effectively contrast the bitterness of the endive with the mellowness of other ingredients. In this case though, the bitterness was emphasized by the cooking technique, and the topping didn't do much to offset it. So my complaint about this recipe is one you have heard from me before: just too bitter.

Here is the recipe.



I made it back to Bloomington today, but not without a little drama. There I was, driving down the highway, minding my own business, when a huge rock flew at my car, shattering the passenger side of my windshield! The glass didn't break into the car, but it is cracked all over the place. From a mathematical perspective it was interesting (the shatter patter was not at all what I would have expected), but from every other perspective it was frustrating (and scary -- it was shocking to see something flying at the car, and unbelievably loud when it made impact!). So my entire windshield needs to be replaced :( Luckily I paid for the comprehensive car insurance, which covers such things. I had never filed a claim with my car insurance before, so that was a fun new experience for today.

Always an adventure...

2 comments:

Paul said...

my mom used to make something like this.
before you give up on BE b/c of the bitterness, try a baked BE with mornay sauce: you could toss in crab or shrimp too.

Teena said...

Mmmm... yeah, Mornay would definitely help. I'll have to try that!