Friday, January 11, 2008

Basic Polenta (Page 264)

  • Date: Saturday, January 5, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+


We made this polenta to accompany some steaks last Sunday. I love polenta, so I liked this dish just fine. There was nothing special about it -- it was indeed very plain. But it would be lovely with any one of a number of sauces on it (or mixed with cheese and broiled, as will appear on the blog in a few days). Polenta is traditionally made with a method that involves stirring constantly for 45 minutes. This recipe called for it to only be stirred for one minute out of every ten. This saves a lot of time (and arm fatigue), and it seemed to work just fine. There were a few lumps, but I think that had more to do with the fact that the cornmeal wasn't added in a steady enough stream when it was first mixed in. Overall this is a good basic polenta recipe, from which many variations could be made.

This recipe isn't online.



I am, at this moment, sitting on the floor in the back of V's office at the University of Chicago. There are six honors calculus students crowded in here too, frantically asking for help with their homework. He's having office hours. I went off and wandered around the department for a while, but listening to his students ask questions is pretty entertaining so I came back. Right now he is explaining uniform continuity. Jealous?!?

I am not visiting, of course, just to hear V explain calculus. He and I are doing some work together for a few days. I drove up here yesterday evening after I taught my class (4 hours to get to Chicago, plus 30 minutes in disastrous Chicago traffic -- not too bad!). V, Shihchi, and I had a nice dinner last night, and then first thing this morning V and I got to work. It's probably good that his students came in when they did, as we were both pretty braindead by the middle of the afternoon. So we are taking a little break! Well, I am taking a break -- V is explaining calculus...

No comments: