Sunday, January 06, 2008

Red Bean and Bacon Soup (Page 110)

  • Date: Wednesday, January 2, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


I got a food mill for Christmas, so I can finally make the recipes in The Book that require one. I let Matty pick which food-mill-required recipe he wanted first, and he selected this one. This soup was tasty, but quite fatty. If you let it sit for any amount of time, a layer of fat would rise to the top which was, needless to say, unappetizing. Usually I think of pureed bean soups as being a healthy dinner choice (think: wholesome black bean soup). This one was greasy though. The recipe started with cooking a half a pound of bacon, and then proceeding using that bacon fat to cook the other soup components in. Without thinking I paired this with the cabbage below (resulting theme of the meal: food with bacon on top), which only intensified the rich bacon-ness of this soup. All that said, it had a good flavor, and I liked the texture (fairly smooth, but still with some texture to it). It was a touch too spicy for me, but a reduction in the cayenne would easily solve that.

Here is the recipe.

Matty and I had a lovely dinner tonight at Paul and Beth's house. The food was excellent and there was lots of it: potato leek soup, vegetable terrine, nut loaf, tomatoes and mushrooms in vinaigrette, breadsticks, green salad, a cheese course, cheesecake, and a caramelized pear (apple?) tart. I am stuffed to the brim! Another colleague told me soon after I moved here that the best place to eat out in Bloomington is at Paul's house, and now I can see why! Yum! I did get teased a bit throughout dinner that I must have been secretly grading the food (the chef, the water pitcher...). Indeed I was not! I love eating in other people's homes, and I leave the scrutinizing that I apply to Book food at home. That said, the food tonight would have easily survived even my most critical viewing, as it was delicious!

No comments: