Monday, January 07, 2008

Ricotta Hotcakes with Honeycomb Butter (Page 648)

  • Date: Thursday, January 3, 2008 -- 11am
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A


We have had a couple huge brunches from The Book in the last 6 months, so the Breakfast and Brunch section is running low. So, you might ask, how is it that there was still a recipe I hadn't made for pancakes? I'll tell you how: this recipe looked so unbelievably fussy I couldn't motivate to make it. The pancakes themselves weren't so fussy, but they are topped with a compound butter with crushed candy in it, and making the candy to crush into the compound butter was part of this recipe. It seemed like an awful lot of fuss for pancakes. However, I am now completely willing to take back every negative thought I had about these pancakes because they were divine. They were fluffy, and moist, and flavorful. The ricotta cheese gave them a bit of gooey cheesiness which completely worked. The honeycomb butter was delicious, and it melted all over the pancakes, leaving little pieces of honey candy behind. These were the best pancakes I can remember having. Matty and I sat in complete silence for 5 minutes, just enjoying and marveling at our hotcakes. Yum! Yum, yum, yum...

Sadly, this recipe isn't online.

Well, day one of the semester has come and gone. However since I don't teach until tomorrow I don't think I have yet internalized that the term has begun. I took my special gentleman friend to the airport this morning. Since we work at universities with a thousand miles in between, we are often apart. I have adjusted pretty well to this fact. I still hate the leaving though. I hate that moment at the airport when he disappears through security (or I wander off through security alone). I hate walking back to my car in the airport parking ramp. I hate getting into my car alone. By the time I arrive back in Bloomington an hour later, I have usually adjusted again. But those moments at the airport are just awful for me. I would consider making him take the airport shuttle instead (!) but I'm sure then I would just have those awful moments at the bus stop instead of the airport. I always thought I would be terrible at being in a long distance relationship. It turns out, it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Except for all the leaving -- the leaving is brutal.

All that said, I shouldn't complain. In about a week I will back at the airport, picking him up. That airport trip I love!

No comments: