Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Angel Food Cake (Page 712)

  • Date: Thursday, December 27, 2007 -- 7pm
  • Location: Westerville, OH
  • Kitchen: Karen and Dave's House
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Karen H, Dave, Deniz, Brad, Jinx, Eddie, Michael S, Phil, and Kayla
  • Recipe Rating: A-


Angel food cake is traditional holiday fare in Matty's family, so he requested this dessert for dinner last week. Usually I am not terribly excited about angel food cake (Seriously, cake without fat? Whose bad idea was that?) but this cake was excellent. Matty said that it was like "eating a cloud." It was fluffy and light, with a lovely flavor. This recipe called for the cake to be covered with a lemon glaze. I thought the glaze was an excellent addition. It wasn't heavy like frosting, so it didn't overpower the cake, but it added some flavor and sweetness to what could otherwise have been a bit of a boring dessert. Matty wasn't a fan of the glaze though, so we weren't all in agreement. We served this cake with sliced strawberries, which was a lovely accompaniment. Overall, I was quite happy with this recipe. It certainly exceeded my expectations, and the entire cake was gone before I knew it!

This recipe isn't online.

Happy New Year! Well, 2008 has officially begun. I am having a hard time coming up with New Year's resolutions this year, so I figured I would start by checking in on last year's resolutions and seeing how I did. Here they are:
  • Do a pull-up. -- Yay, this one I accomplished!
  • Clean my apartment more often. -- This one too. My apartment in Bloomington is much cleaner than my apartment in Somerville was.
  • Finish typing my dissertation. -- Well obviously this got done, by necessity!
  • Answer my phone when people call me. -- I am doing better at this than I used to. It could still use more work though.
  • Be less mathematically shy. -- Again, I am making progress...
  • Make good decisions. -- Well, I can't think of any terribly bad decisions I made in the last year, so I guess this one counts as completed.
  • Eat more fruits and vegetables. -- Vegetables, yes. Fruit, no. Apparently it still needs work.
  • Complete another 325 recipes from The Book. -- I didn't even come close! I only cooked and blogged 274 recipes in 2007!
Overall, I didn't do too badly. Next up: some new resolutions!

4 comments:

Laura said...

Only 274 recipes???!!! This former Somervillian is very impressed. I should work on answering my phone (and checking my voicemail) in 2008. Your angel food cake looks great.

Teena said...

Thanks for the encouragement!

Magdalen said...

How about I eat your fruit for you (yum!) and you eat my veggies for me (ho hum!)?

That said, I have a new favorite salad: Mexican Chopped Salad from Epicurious. I voluntarily made it again this week, after serving it before Christmas.

Teena said...

Yeah I know it's strange but I vastly prefer vegetables to fruit. I have no explanation for it...