Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Turtle Brownies (Page 690)

  • Date: Friday, January 4, 2008 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Chuck, Donna, Mary Jane, and a bunch of other people at department tea...
  • Recipe Rating: B


Matty and I made these brownies last weekend because we had nothing sweet in the apartment. I had high hopes for these brownies, and they were pretty good, but nothing special. I love caramel, and I expect most things drenched in homemade caramel to be good. Indeed the caramel and pecan topping was delicious. But the brownies underneath were just so-so. They were extremely fudgey, to a fault. These brownies tasted very much like fudge with caramel on top. Of course that doesn't taste bad, but it also doesn't taste like a brownie. They were so rich, that even cut into very small pieces, they were too much. Matty and I couldn't nearly eat them all, so I brought them into the department on Monday. They got eaten (of course!), but I don't think anyone was particularly wowed by them. My recommendation: make you favorite brownie recipe, and then just use the caramel pecan topping from this recipe to make them into Turtle Brownies.

Here is the recipe.

I got a letter in the mail today from the people who administered my student loans from my undergrad years at Stanford, saying that I am now officially debt-free! These loans have been on deferral forever, because as long as you stay in school (which I have until recently) they don't accrue interest. In fact I managed to basically forget about them until the loan people magically learned that I graduated and started sending me letters this summer. I am so opposed to paying interest that I wanted to pay off every cent before the grace period expired in November. And I did! (Well actually they charged me 45 cents interest, but it was a mistake on their part. I figure 45 cents is worth fighting over!) This is all old news -- I finished paying them off in November. But the letter just came today and it made me feel very triumphant! I am debt-free!

Matty and I watched this horrifying documentary the other day about credit card debt (Maxed Out). Of course this has nothing to do with the kind of debt I had. It was certainly not about people paying back student loans. It was about people charging tens of thousands of dollars to their credit cards, and then declaring bankruptcy, etc... I hate using credit cards. I wouldn't even have them if you didn't need to have them to build a credit rating. So I do. And I charge things occasionally, but I always pay it off immediately. In fact, that 45 cents interest I paid on my student loans is the only interest I have ever paid. According to the documentary, this is not typical. They claimed the average American's credit card debt is around $9,000. Crazy. Makes me especially happy to be debt-free!

On an unrelated note, Happy Birthday Mel!

2 comments:

Deborah Dowd said...

How can something that sounds so good disappoint? I may have to give them a try anyway!

Teena said...

You'll have to let me know if you like them better than I did!