Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Iceberg and Watercress Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing (Page 136)

  • Date: Sunday, December 30, 2007 -- 6pm
  • Location: Westerville, OH
  • Kitchen: Dave and Karen's House
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Karen H, Dave, Brad, and Deniz
  • Recipe Rating: B+


The salad options from The Book are starting to run low, so I picked this one more or less by default. I had a bad feeling about this recipe (hence I put it off so long) but actually, it was pretty good. It is a simple green salad: iceberg, watercress, and celery, with a blue cheese dressing. The dressing was much milder than I had anticipated it would be. I myself would have preferred a stronger blue cheese flavor (as I love blue cheese), but I am sure most people would be happy with the amount of blueness it had. The combination of iceberg with watercress was interesting. Iceberg provided a nice base for the salad and the watercress gave it a peppery bite. There was nothing amazing about this salad, but it was good, and went well with the simple meal we we having (pizza!).

Here is the recipe.

It's a few days into 2008, and it is about time that I made some resolutions for the new year. So here I go:
  • Respond to emails faster -- Poor Emilee and V and some other dear friends haven't yet given up on emailing me despite my ridiculously poor response times! I need to do better.
  • Run 5 consecutive 8 minute miles -- I love to run, but I run so slowly. I am going to try to pick up the pace a little bit this year.
  • Meet more people in Bloomington.
  • Be less mathematically shy -- This is an ongoing effort...
  • Eat less candy.
  • Get back in shape. I was in great shape when I was training to do my pull-up, but since then I haven't put so much effort into my physical fitness.
  • Write thank-you notes. Simple, yes, but I am phenomenally bad at it.
  • Cook 320 recipes from The Book this year.
That seems like enough! Wish me luck!

No comments: