Friday, January 25, 2008

Corn Relish (Page 902)

  • Date: Thursday, January 17, 2008 -- 10pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B+


I picked this recipe because I haven't been making enough of an effort in the Relishes, Chutneys, Pickles, and Preserves section of The Book. This relish was potent but good. It looked so innocuous that I took a big bite to try it. Perhaps I should have thought for a minute before doing that -- any recipe with two and a half cups (!) of vinegar in it is bound to be bold. And indeed this was. Eaten plain it was a bit overwhelming, but it would be a lovely side for a piece of meat. Despite all the corn, the most predominant flavor was really that of celery (the recipe called for both chopped celery and celery seed). The strong flavor of that celery provided some much needed contrast to the intensity of the vinegar. I thought it was pretty well balanced, but if you are not a celery person you might want to steer clear. As relishes go, this one wasn't bad. There was nothing terribly inspiring about it, but it was a solid recipe.  

This recipe isn't online.

My freezer is overflowing with food -- literally. I opened it the other day and tupperware containers came pouring out. Perhaps many of you have not had the extensive dealings with frozen tupperware containers that I have. So I'll tell you: when a frozen tupperware hits the floor, it shatters. So there I was, standing in a wasteland of shattered tupperware containers and frozen food, trying to save what I could (of the food, not the tupperware). It wasn't pleasant. I used to have two freezers -- one attached to the fridge, and one that stood alone. When I left Boston though I left freezer number two behind with my special gentleman. I stocked it with goodies before I left so that he would have plenty to eat. And periodically the frozen food in my Bloomington freezer makes a trip to Boston, accompanied by one of us. Lately though, Matty has been here (yay!), so no such trips have been made, and hence the freezer is overflowing. So, the past couple days, we have been eating out of it. It's so fun to relive some of the winning recipes from the past (Yesterday: Clay Pot Pork. Today: Walnut Spice Cake, Egg Drop Soup, and White Bean Gratin -- Yum!) I would guess that there are at least 20 individual tupperware entrees in my freezer right now, with at least 8 different dishes from The Book. It's lovely. There are so many choices that opening the freezer is like going out to a restaurant. Well, not exactly -- the avalanche of tupperware containers is probably unique to my freezer!  

No comments: