Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Moroccan Carrot and Goat Cheese Sandwiches with Green Olive Tapenade (Page 184)

  • Date: Monday, January 21, 2008 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


This recipe came off the list generated by the random number generator. These sandwiches had a lot of different flavors all in one place! Layers of goat cheese, green olive tapenade and spiced, marinated carrots were sandwiched between pumpernickel bread. Each bite was an explosion of flavors -- it was a bit much. These sandwiches brought to mind the Coco Chanel rule: before leaving the house, remove one accessory. These sandwiches would have better with any one thing removed. Each component tasted very good. The tapenade was excellent -- we served the leftover olive spread with bread at a party a few days later, and everyone enjoyed it. The marinated carrots were also very tasty. My mandoline doesn't have a thin enough setting to get them quite as thin as necessary for the right effect, but they were very flavorful. Together though, with the strong flavors of both goat cheese and pumpernickel bread, it was just a bit much. I found it difficult to eat after the first half a sandwich. Toned down just a tad these sandwiches could have been great. As they were, I won't make them again.

Here is the recipe.

All of yesterday's rest seems to have paid off because today I have been feeling somewhat better. The day started a bit rough though. My special gentleman friend left this morning at 6:45am. He has been traveling a bit lately, but he has been based out of Bloomington for 7 weeks now. Today, though, he left to go on a work trip and then go back to his home in Boston. Sad. Very sad. Ok, it's not as bad as it sounds. We are going to see each other at least every other weekend this semester, but it's still never fun to see him leave.

I was sick though so after I saw him off I fell back into bed and slept for another 3 hours! I rolled out of bed in time to go to school and teach my class, give my seminar on Waldhausen's S. construction, and have office hours. Then I made my way back home for some cold medicine, a big cup of tea, and several hours of laying on the couch. I feel so much better tonight than I did last night that I am hoping tomorrow I will be feeling all healthy again!

No comments: