Monday, January 28, 2008

Veal Chop "Schnitzel" with Arugula Salad (Page 454)

  • Date: Sunday, January 20, 2008 -- 7pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-


This recipe came off the list generated by the random number generator. The butcher didn't have any veal rib chops available, so we used the only bone-in veal steak they had available. We made just one "chop" instead of the four that the recipe specified (at 17 dollars a steak, we decided we could share one). Expensive, yes, but this recipe turned out very well. The meat was juicy and deliciously tender. The method of using the "schnitzel" coating (aka paner a l'anglaise, aka breading) locked in the moisture while providing the veal with a delicious crispy breadcrumb exterior. Reading the recipe I expected the veal to be delicious, but I was not excited about the arugula salad. Given my not-so-positive feelings about bitter green vegetables, usually when I see the words arugula salad I run the other way. This project doesn't afford me that luxury though. It said arugula salad, so arugula salad it was. The surprising thing? It was good! Yes, the arugula was bitter, but the bitterness was tempered by the delicious dressing and the sweetness of the shredded carrots. It was very good! Maybe I am coming around about bitter green after all... Overall this was a tasty recipe.

This recipe isn't online.

Yesterday I was in denial about the fact that I wasn't feeling well but today there is no getting around it: I am sick. There's some cold/flu thing that has been circulating through Bloomington for months, and finally I contracted it. I don't teach on Mondays so I spent the entire day laying in bed and sitting on the sofa. It was relaxing, but I'm still feeling pretty shitty. My goal is to wake up feeling significantly better tomorrow. Either way it's not going to be another day in bed. I have to teach tomorrow and give a seminar talk. And Matty is leaving. I have a feeling it isn't going to be a great day.

Today though I am just focusing on resting, drinking fluids, and trying to feel better.

On an unrelated note: Happy Birthday Rachel!

No comments: