Thursday, January 03, 2008

Eggplant Pizza (Page 197)

  • Date: Sunday, December 30, 2007 -- 6pm
  • Location: Westerville, OH
  • Kitchen: Karen and Dave's House
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Brad, Deniz, Dave, and Karen H
  • Recipe Rating: A-


Since we were already making pizza on Sunday, we figured we should make a couple different kinds. This pizza was the only other one in The Book that we could find the proper ingredients and equipment for. I wasn't initially optimistic about this recipe. Eggplant isn't a favorite of mine, and neither is pizza without tomato sauce. I have to admit though, this pizza was excellent! The broiled eggplant was delicious, and the amount of cheese was just right. The crust, which was the same as that in the pizza below, was delicious baked on the pizza stone. What really made the recipe though was the oil infused with browned garlic and red pepper. That oil was delicious, and it gave the pizza a fantastic burst of flavor. We made three pizzas for dinner on Sunday: one of these, and two of the pizza margherita. In retrospect I wish I had made two of these and one of those. Surprisingly, this was the better pizza!

The recipe in The Book is very similar to this one, except that it calls for the dough to be made by hand rather than with a food processor, and the ratios of ingredients are very slightly different.

This morning, making pancakes I somehow gashed my finger. I was alerted to this fact when blood started dripping into my workspace. Whoops. Even now, I have no idea how I happened to remove a chunk of my finger. There was no knife to be seen. No food processor. Not even a grater.

I will admit, I am not a careful cook. I have decent knife skills, and the idea of losing a finger to a knife makes me queasy, so I am careful around knives. I am not so careful though around hot things, which results in many, many burns. I wore a sleeveless dress for Christmas this year, and I don't think I have any more scars than I usually do, but perhaps they were extra pronounced against my super-pale winter skin. Many people commented. And as I inspected the many dark purple lines on my forearms I realized I couldn't even remember how I had gotten most of those burns. When I worked at Pizza Hut in the kitchen (long long ago) I used to always stick my arm in this little side door in the oven to add or remove things, resulting in many horizontal burns across my wrists. When I went off to Stanford, soon after, my Residential Assistants were treating me very strangely. It took me a while to realize that they thought my scars were remnant from a failed suicide attempt, or a bad cutting habit. Nope. These are just the battle wounds of a careless cook.

1 comment:

richarb said...

I love pizza! upside- down Pizza your looks very delicious!


Pizza Equipment