Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Black Bean Soup with Rum (Page 110)

  • Date: Wednesday, January 9, 2008 -- 9pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: A-


I chose this recipe because it used my new food mill that I got for Christmas. This was one of the better bean soups from The Book. The texture was just perfect (yay food mill!), and there was a great depth of flavor from simmering the beans for hours with a smoked ham hock. The rum gave it a bit of a boozy kick, which worked with the smoky flavor of the soup. The start to finish time on this recipe was 4 hours -- it wasn't a quick soup. But those hours of cooking really paid off. There were layers of flavor built up with onions, celery, parsley, thyme, bay leaves, and beef stock, and the slow cook enhanced them in a fabulous way. This was a hearty and tasty bean soup -- perfect for cold weather!

This recipe isn't online.



I got my new windshield today. It wasn't easy. I had a nasty run-in with the evils of technology. The company who came to replace it is a national one, with various dispatch offices throughout the country. Said offices all have the same 1-800 phone number. I was supposed to call that number this morning to find out what time they were coming. So I did. The man on the other end of the phone told me they had no record of me. He asked for my name three times. He assured me I was not in the system. Finally he asked where I was located. Bloomington, Indiana I told him. His response, "Well you called Massachusetts." Ummm, no. I called a 1-800 number. But, apparently since my cell phone number is a 617 number (aka, a Massachusetts number) I was automatically forwarded to the dispatch in Massachusetts. "Can you connect me to Indiana?" I asked. He didn't know how to do that. His only suggestion: call back from an Indiana phone. Except I don't have a home phone. And I couldn't leave home because the windshield man could come at any time. Grrrrr! I was so upset with that guy. So what did I do? I found a number for website tech support, and called them (even though they had nothing to do with my problem!), figuring they would be smarter than the first guy and could help me. And indeed they did! A very nice man answered the phone, and patched me right through to Indiana dispatch. Yay! The whole experience was redeemed by the fact that the guy who came to replace the windshield was great, and it was all over in time for me to go to colloquium! And I have a new (unshattered) windshield!

No comments: