Thursday, January 03, 2008

Pizza Margherita (Page 195)

  • Date: Sunday, December 30, 2007 -- 6pm
  • Location: Westerville, OH
  • Kitchen: Karen and Dave's House
  • Fellow Chef: Matty
  • Dining Companions: Karen H, Dave, Brad, and Deniz
  • Recipe Rating: B+


Matty got me a pizza stone and baker's peel for Christmas, and we were eagerly awaiting a chance to try them out with some pizza! So the first chance we got, we threw together a simple pizza dinner! This recipe is in The Book twice -- one recipe is for pizza margherita baked on the pizza stone and the other is for pizza mrgherita grilled. My impression of the baked version is very similar to that of the grilled version: tasty, but a little too oily. The sauce is nice -- it is a little duller in flavor than the pizza sauce I usually make, but it still tastes good. However, it doesn't need so much oil added to it. The crust is excellent, and it turned out lovely on the pizza stone -- crispy and charred on the bottom, but chewy inside. Yum! This pizza wasn't anything amazing, but it was tasty, and fun to make!

Here is the recipe, except the one in The Book is baked on a pizza stone, in a 500-550 degree oven for 8 minutes.

It is 5:02 pm and I am still in my pajamas. Yay for winter break! The semester doesn't start until Monday, so I took the opportunity today to work from home. I have a big stack of math papers I have been wanting to read (both a physical stack on my desk and a figurative stack on my laptop), and today I indulged myself by sitting in bed for much of the day, doing some reading. It was extremely enjoyable. The only other thing I have done so far today is make pancakes. Basically, I have no complaints! In a few minutes it will be necessary to put on some real clothes though, as I am having dinner at a friend's house.

Tomorrow morning there is a course meeting for the various people teaching M119 with me this semester. The title of the course is Brief Survey of Calculus I. I will get all prepared in the next few days, and I start lecturing on Tuesday. It will be nice to be back in the classroom, but in some ways I wish I was going back to the same students I had last semester -- I was quite fond of them. I'm sure I will grow fond of these students too though!

No comments: