Sunday, January 06, 2008

Braised Red Cabbage (Page 528)

  • Date: Wednesday, January 2, 2008 -- 8pm
  • Location: Bloomington, IN
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B


It was cold last week, so braised cabbage seemed like an appropriate vegetable to have. This recipe is pretty good. It was simple: sweet onions were cooked in bacon fat and then red cabbage were added and braised with some white wine vinegar. At the end the dish was sprinkled with the bacon that produced the bacon fat. The dish had flavor and texture characteristic of braised red cabbage. Matt found it a little too "sour," but still agreed that it tasted good. The bacon sprinkled on top was odd, both visually (see picture) and in terms of flavor. Since the cabbage was cooked in bacon fat, there was a subtle meaty richness to it. The bacon on top though was just too much. I love bacon, but in this case I would have preferred the dish without the bacon topping. Overall, though, if you like braised cabbage you are bound to like this recipe. It would be nice served with a big roast and some mashed potatoes.

Here is the recipe. However the recipe online says the bacon should be reserved for another use, while the one in The Book has the bacon sprinkled on top of the cabbage.

With the semester rapidly descending upon me, I have begun to make travel plans. I have learned that one essential component of balancing teaching, a long distance relationship, conferences, and research trips, is careful planning of one's travels. A few weeks ago I made a tentative calendar, and now that I have all the relevant dates for my course this term (exam dates, etc...) I have begun buying plane tickets. Here's the miraculous thing: in the month of January, I am not flying anywhere. I will not go on a single airplane this month! In fact, I have no plans to venture any further from home than Chicago. This, for me, is tremendously exciting. I have made at least one trip involving the miracle of air travel every month since May. This month though, I am staying home! (And, of course, attempting to ignore the fact that between the middle of February and the middle of March I will make two trips to Boston and one to California!) So, my days without travel will be short-lived, but pleasant nonetheless!

No comments: