Saturday, May 17, 2008

Green Mayonnaise (Page 887)

  • Date: Saturday, May 10, 2008 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matt, Mike, Matty, Ricky, Ana, Craig, Grace, Alex, Gunther, Angelica, Jenny, Vero, and Pam
  • Recipe Rating: A-

This was yet another mayonnaise from the mayo tasting last weekend. This was easily the best of the bunch. The concept: take mayonnaise and every non-woody fresh herb you can imagine and blend together in the blender. It's a little more subtle than that -- I am sure the designated ratios were chosen to give a balanced, flavorful mayonnaise. Not just any combination of herbs would net something so tasty. As it was though, this mayo was tasty on both onion rings and raw vegetables, and would certainly be a nice accompaniment for a piece of salmon. I had strongly positive feelings about it. Most people agreed, although notably Ricky, Grace, and Jenny all gave it C-range grades. None of them wrote specific complaints with their grades, although I did hear at least one person complain that they disliked the tarragon flavor of the mayo. In my opinion though, this was a tasty mayonnaise, and easily the most successful mayo variation in The Book.

Here is the recipe.

The cooking disaster of the day today involved 3 pounds of poblano peppers and my right eye! No, I wasn't foolish enough to rub the peppers in my eye, or even rub my eye with my peppery hands. But in the process of roasted, peeling, seeding, and slicing 3 pounds of peppers, there was some pepper juice and eye contact. I noticed the first time the pepper spat some of its juice in my eye, but it didn't actually hurt too much, so I thought it would be fine. Poblanos aren't that hot, so I just figured maybe I wouldn't get the typical burning reaction from them. Silly me -- of course I know that the burn from hot peppers only comes on a bit later. But it was early in the morning and I wasn't thinking straight. About ten minutes after I finished all my pepper handling, I began to experience truly horrible pain in my eye. I tried eye drops but that was not enough to do the trick. My eye was watering and watering so I figured the tears might flush it out, but that didn't work either. Usually if you have stinging from peppers on your hands or something, you would submerge them in milk, but I couldn't decide if flushing my eye with milk was a good idea or not. In the end it was a two-person job to stop the pain. I held my eye open while my special gentleman poured cup after cup of water into my eye. After about ten cups of water, I began to feel better. My eye is fine now, but next time I am dealing with so many peppers, I think I will be a little more careful!

2 comments:

Magdalen said...

Safety goggles. I'm just saying.

Teena said...

Not a bad idea...