Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Curry Mayonnaise (Page 887)

  • Date: Saturday, May 10, 2008 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Fellow Chefs: Alex and Gunther
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Mike, Matt, Ricky, Ana, Craig, Grace, Angelica, Jenny, Vero, and Pam
  • Recipe Rating: C+


Yup, you guessed it: more mayonnaise! I appreciate that you all are probably getting a little sick of the mayo by now, but can you imagine how exciting it is for me to be done with all these recipes?!? There are only 47 recipes total in the Sauces and Salsas section of The Book, and in one night we knocked out 9 of them. Yay for the mayonnaise tasting! Plus, PLUS, no one got salmonella from it (at least to my knowledge). Ask anyone (especially Matty or Mike) and they will give you an earful about how I am unreasonably obsessed with food safety. It's true. I won't deny it. It is very VERY important to me not to make anyone sick. I am ServSafe trained and certified (it was part of culinary school) which essentially means that I have a working understanding of the various foodborne illnesses that it is possible to give to you poor unsuspecting eaters. So I am careful. Very, very careful. I am especially careful when it comes to salmonella, as I had the unfortunate luck of acquiring salmonella as a kid and it is an illness that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. So when I cook chicken, I take precautions! No one is going to get sick from a feathered friend prepared by me.

Mayonnaise, however, is a trickier issue. Homemade mayo contains raw eggs. Safe handling can minimize the risk, but if the egg is carrying salmonella, there's nothing you can do about it (other than cook it, which isn't an option for mayonnaise). If the egg is contaminated, your mayo will be contaminated. Now, I will acknowledge, the risk is small. It is generally accepted that in the Northeastern United States only about 1 in 10,000 eggs carry salmonella. So the chances of poisoning myself and all my friends on Saturday were pretty low. But still -- I worry. I am happy to say that everyone seemed to survive the tasting just fine!

Anyway, I got sidetracked. That happens sometimes when I go off on one of my food safety tirades. If you want to hear Mike go on about how crazy I am, ask him sometime about the time he and I discussed chicken salad. That should get a rise out of him! Right, so back to the mayonnaise. This one wasn't so good. Just look at the picture... it doesn't even look good. This was essentially just mayonnaise with some lime juice, curry powder and a bit of cayenne mixed in. It wasn't bad exactly, but it also just wasn't particularly appealing. There are so many good curry sauces out there, that this one just seemed silly -- curry powder mixed into mayonnaise is certainly a quick way to produce a curry-flavored sauce or spread, but it's not nearly the best way. I didn't mind eating this stuff, but I couldn't imagine a situation in which this would be the best possible choice of sauce/spread.

The recipe in The Book is the same as this one, except the one in The Book starts with a homemade mayonnaise, not a bottled one.

3 comments:

Mike Hill said...

"Teena has always given great advice about food safety. That one time she knocked the fork out of my mouth and stomped on it to keep me from eat week old, refrigerated chicken salad has been burned into my mind as an example of a time when someone saved my life."

That work, Teena?

Teena said...

Hahaha... as I recall, we were both pretty mad about that chicken salad, and you definitely did not see my arguments as life-saving!

foodychef said...

cool and simple blog will make this