Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mayonnaise (Page 886)

  • Date: Saturday, May 10, 2008 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: My Apartment
  • Dining Companions: Matty, Mike, Matt, Ricky, Ana, Craig, Grace, Alex, Gunther, Angelica, Jenny, Vero, and Pam
  • Recipe Rating: B-


This was one of the many mayonnaise recipes that I made for the mayonnaise tasting on Saturday. This was the plain mayonnaise recipe that many of the other mayo versions were derivatives of. This mayo was ok, but not nearly as good as some other homemade mayos I have eaten/made. It had two problems. One, it was a bit too thin for a mayonnaise. The bigger problem though was the flavor. It had too much mustard, which made the mayo very strongly flavored. It didn't taste bad, but it wasn't neutral enough to really serve as a multi-purpose mayo. There is often mustard in homemade mayo, since mustard acts as a good emulsifying agent, but usually there is less than there was in this recipe. Less mustard would have been better.

Here is the recipe.

My friend Grace and my special gentleman friend happen to both be teaching recitations of the same huge Differential Equations course at MIT this semester. Grace's classes recently challenged my special gentleman friend's classes to a game of Capture the Flag. Tonight's the night -- the big match-up starts at 9pm. I have been recruited to play (on the side of my special gentleman, of course). We are playing across most of the MIT campus -- hopefully plenty of students will show up to play!

I haven't played Capture the Flag since college, when we would occasionally play with our dorms on the Stanford campus. I remember it as being quite fun, although I had an unfortunate run-in with a raccoon in the dark, which left me scared of raccoons in the years to come. I had chased some opponents off of our side, into a wooded area. I was looking around to make sure they had gone when I heard a rustling right near my head. I turned, and there was a raccoon, perched on top of a garbage can, with it's little head and beady eyes no more than a foot from my face. It makes chills run up my spine just thinking about it. Luckily the MIT campus in not infested with raccoons the way the Stanford Campus is, so I think I will be safe from such trauma tonight!

Wish our team luck!

2 comments:

Mike Hill said...

Good luck, Raccoons! Freak those scary people out!

Good Lord, Teena, this was one of your funnier posts. It reminds me of how at Harvard, squirrels would chew their way into trash cans. Once my roommate and I were leaving our entryway when a squirrel hiding in a trashcan launched itself at my roommate and ran off. He screamed like a banshee and fell down the stairs. Good times.

Teena said...

Nice. Knowing you I am sure that as your roommate was falling down the stairs you were just laughing and laughing... :)