Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Spicy Cranberry Relish (Page 903)

  • Date: Wednesday, May 7, 2008 -- 7pm
  • Location: Somerville, MA
  • Kitchen: Matty's Apartment
  • Dining Companion: Matty
  • Recipe Rating: B-


I am trying to make some headway on the "Relishes, Chutneys, Pickles, and Preserves" section of The Book, and this seemed like a good one to try. I wasn't terribly excited about this dish, although Matty thought it was excellent. My main complaint was that the flavor of the red onion overwhelmingly dominated the dish. There were only a few ingredients: lime juice and zest, cranberries, red onion, sugar, and serrano chile. The raw onion was so strong though that if I had tasted this with my eyes closed I'm not sure I would have been able to pick out anything other than the onion and the sugar. Even the spiciness of the serrano chile didn't come through. Matty didn't dispute that this was true, he just maintained that it still tasted good. As a side dish, this wasn't a winner. But it has potential to be good on a sandwich. Tomorrow I am going to give it a try on some turkey sandwiches and see if indeed that is a more appropriate use for this dish.

Here is the recipe.

It has been an emotional and exhausting few days. My grandma, always a fighter, held on through the weekend. She passed away on Monday afternoon. It was obviously a difficult weekend, but in some ways it was also quite beautiful. From the time my grandma went into a coma on Saturday morning until she passed away Monday afternoon, there wasn't a single minute when she was alone in her room in the ICU. Someone from my family was constantly with her, and more often or not there were five or ten of us (or more!) in the room. My mother's family is big, and close, and joyful. Everyone pulled together in a really amazing and inspiring way. On Saturday night I stayed up with my grandma through the night, sitting at her bedside, and just keeping her company. Everyone else was sleeping, or had gone home, and I got some very precious time alone with her. Even the ICU was quiet at 4am, and the only sound breaking the stillness was that of my grandma's labored breathing. I felt very close to her in that moment, even though she was deep asleep in a coma.

I managed to hold myself together pretty well until I left for Boston. I felt at peace with the passing of my grandma, but saying goodbye to my grandpa was really hard. He and my grandma recently celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. 60 years! I can't even imagine how difficult it must be to go on after losing someone that you have been with so long...

As I said, it has been an emotional few days.

2 comments:

Magdalen said...

Thank you for cooking something and writing about it, if only so that we (your faithful readers) would have a chance to express our sympathies, and support. You've been in my thoughts . . .

Teena said...

Thanks so much. I really appreciate the support.